Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/175/155
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Cheating: Carbs vs Sugars

Hi, was on Atkins for a few months, hit my goal and let myself slide and I gained half back. Not I am finished my induction and back to maintaining my weight. I know that I felt great anytime on Atkins. My body seemed to be happier in all sorts of ways. As soon as I slipped off Atkins I was feeling sluggish, weak, having stomach cramps, etc.. Anyway, my question is: If you cheat, do you find that cheating with sugars is better or with carbs? I know any cheating is bad but sometimes it happens. I need a sugar fix occasionally and I find a chocolate bar or can of pop does the trick. I know if I eat carbs on a cheat I am feeling like crap, running to the bathroom all day if you know what I mean, but the sugars seem to have little effect on my weight loss or my stomach. Does anyone else have any other thoughts on this. Which is worse for you? Carbs or sugars?

Thanks

Sherriff
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 09:09
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It's kind of like asking if I'd rather get run over by a truck or a bus....
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 09:20

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

Sugars ARE carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Really, it depends on you. If you're gluten-sensitive, you probably want to avoid wheat products, even the lower-carb ones. On the other hand, if you've got a sugar addiction problem or blood-sugar-management problems, you probably want to stay as far away from sweets as you can. I can handle a single dose of sugar pretty well, but even homemade LC breads and baked goods with whole wheat flour or a lot of vital wheat gluten will leave me feeling bloated. However, some people find that they mentally or physically can't handle sugary stuff, and even a single slip-up will result in cravings, water retention, and general ickiness.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you're starch-sensitive AND a bit of a sugar addict, so for you it's the devil and the deep blue sea! However, a sugar addiction is a much tougher beast than a sensitive stomach, so I'd tend to avoid the sugar. What concerns me is that it sounds like you're cheating just to cheat, not so much out of a desire for a particular food. I only cheat a couple of times a year, and there's no question of choosing between starches or sugars -- I want some of my mom's white chocolate cheesecake, but I have zero interest in the mashed potatoes. It sounds like maybe you've got a little self-sabotage going on here, perhaps?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 11:59

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Why not stick to the healthier foods and avoid sugar. Have some fruit or a sandwich with whole wheat bread. Eating like you are doing maintenance would seem like a cheat if are following induction. But if you need a carb fix, then it is an addiction you need to break.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 21:37

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Carbs are sugars. When I am having a craving, I will get a low carb chocolate cookie. I admit, there are times when I will have a couple of chips but I count those carbs and I make sure that I keep them low.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 10:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Maybe it's not so important what you cheat with so much as controlling the cheat. Limit the amount of the undesirable food as much as possible. I like a Ross Bar. It gives me my chocolate fix and if I let each piece melt in my mouth like a candy by the time I'm done I've had about as much sweetness as I can take.
Merry Christmas everyone!