Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 13:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/178/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry im confused

Im getting myself in a muddle over what is allowed and in what amount. I find it very hard to believe that i can have 4 eggs scrambled for breakfast and not worry about the fat in them.
please if anyone has set themselves a menu or has any good advice for me please let me know.
I have 42 lbs to lose and i want to do it this time.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 14:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Peneb....if you have Dr. Atkins book, I would suggest that you get it out and read, read, read! If you don't have the book, you will be doing yourself a huge favor by buying it and reading it thoroughly. You can get a lot of information from the internet, but the book does a much better job of explaining how this way of eating works and why as well as how to follow the diet properly. Stange as it may sound, especially since we have had "low fat" preached to us for the past couple of decades, the more fat you eat on this WOE, the better. As a matter of fact, with low carb 60-70% of your daily calories should come from fat. It's also been shown that eating dietary cholesterol will not raise your blood cholesterol. In light of that, yes....4 scrambled eggs for breakfast would be just fine. BUT...I'd suggest that you ask yourself if you really need 4 eggs to feel satisfied (not stuffed) or if two or three would suffice. The Atkins diet is not a calorie or portion restricted way of eating (except for carbs), but you are supposed to eat until you are no longer hungry, not until you feel stuffed. The Book also does a very good job of outlining what you can and cannot have and in what amounts. Typically, I have 2 eggs or a few ounces (maybe 3 or so) of some other protein for breakfast, 4 or 5 ounces of protein with a salad for lunch and 5 or 6 ounces of protein with a low carb vegetable for dinner. I snack on cheese and nuts although I've begun to cut back on the nuts because I've found that if they are salted they cause me to retain water and cheese should be limited to no more than 4 ounces a day. Sometimes I also make a batch of Atkins bread or Atkins muffins as a treat and have them with my breakfast or dinner.

Last edited by Lisa N : Sat, Apr-13-02 at 14:19.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 14:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Deb, fat doesnt make you fat. Cholesterol in food wont raise your cholesterol (unless you have rare medical condition) - 80% of the cholesterol running around inside you right now is that which your own body manufacturers regardless of how you eat. Eating cholesterol signals to your body that it does not have to make any - and for what it's worth the cholesterol your body makes is more easily oxidized and damaged (bad).

In the absence of insulin fat cannot be stored. In the presence of insulin fat cannot be burned. Only glucose causes insulin to be released; only carbs are turned into insulin. No carbs = no glucose. No glucose = No Insulin. No fat storage.

Thus concludes the readers digest version of LCing If you want to truly understand the biomechanics of LC get a copy of Protein Power by the Eades - they explain it the best.

In the mean time have a quick read below:

My Cholesterol Came Down by Eating More Fat!
Yippeeeeeeee my blood pressure is now normal!
New Numbers look good
Diabetics be encouraged

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 22:14

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Talking Yep you can.

If your still scared that your going to GAIN instead of lose, weigh yourself everday just as a reassurance. Or if you don't like weighing yourself everyday atleast do it weekly to check. You eat 4 eggs for breakfast your not going to gain 10lbs unless your eating carbs and crap.