Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 19:08

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default sick

how do you guys deal with being sick? i had to go home early from work lastnight and due to doctors orders i have to quit my wol for 3 days until i can get my body healed...

dr.s orders:

Chicken noodle soup or chicken and rice soup

gatorade

sprite

saltines

jello, pudding and ice cream

water

I just ran todays menu through fitday and i will have consumed 300 carbs! UGH.. i know i shouldnt be worried about carbs right now as much as i should care about getting well.. but still what if i gain???? its gonna kill me!!!!!

Last edited by luddybell : Sat, Apr-12-03 at 19:09.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 19:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

It looks like your Doc has you on what resembles a clear liquid diet with a few carbs for substinence.
Does any doctor really think that consuming large quantities of sugary Sprite will help someone get well?
I don't think he would have offered you the same diet if you were diabetic, and he probably wouldn't have offered it to you if he knew you were LC (providing he didn't frown upon that WOE).

From your post I'm going to assume you had a stomach bug. Your digestive system will shut down until it can get rid of the virus. In the meantime, eat foods that are easy to digest. I don't recommend milk or ice cream because of the lactose in them.

Hopefully you or someone in your home can boil a chicken for you. Pick the meat off the bone and throw it back in the pot with the broth. Add some finely chopped celery (many herbalists recommend it for its healing properties),lots of salt , and VIOLA!!! There's your chicken soup. I haven't been able to find any canned soup that wasn't loaded with corn syrup, hydrolyzed wheat protein (a.k.a. MSG), or some other off-limits ingredient). Try this for day one, then see how YOU feel about adding more foods. Sometimes it doesn't take a whole three days to get over the crud.
My kids' doctor says to eat whatever you think you can handle. It's probably just a matter of professional opinion. And some doctors just blurt out a textbook response since they overpaid for that higher education. (Oops! Was that too ugly? Sorry, my husband and I have worked with too many doctors and surgeons for the past 12 years)

And all you should need to drink is water. (What in the world did people do before soft drinks & Gatorade? ) Chamomile tea might be nice too.
And rest, rest, rest!

Of course, all of the above is just my opinion.

Hope you feel better and can back to your normal self soon.
(And this is fact)

Amy Mc
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 20:05
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I had a bad stomach virus (vomiting and diarrhea) about a month ago and I ate toast and drank Sprite for a day after it cleared up enough for me to be able to hold something down. I didn't have any ill effects from the unfamiliar carbs, but I only did it for one day. I did wait an extra day or two before adding salad back into my diet -- but I dropped the toast and Sprite after the first day. You might want to ask the doctor if you really need to eat this way for three days if you are feeling better. I never consulted a doctor; I just did what my body seemed to be telling me to do.

There is an argument for drinking Sprite or Gingerale is you have been vomiting and have lost a lot of electrolytes. However, I don't think it takes most people three days to recover.

Also, I can't figure out where the doctor is coming from with the ice cream. The traditional diet for an upset stomach is the BRAT diet -- bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. Ice cream is very difficult to digest.

I hope you are feeling better.

Last edited by liz175 : Sat, Apr-12-03 at 20:07.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 00:14
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I find that clear chicken broth with some light veggies and chicken meat if you can handle it - works just fine. Drink the diet Sprite and make the SF jello...when you're ready for carbs, maybe the lighter ones and a few at a time.

LOTS of water...sure hope you feel better soon...but this is not the time to stress about food counts! Get better...there are plenty of LC things you can have, but don't sweat it if your numbers aren't perfect!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 05:23

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love Atkins' Egg Drop soup--I use chicken bouillon, some lc veggies and when it's at a full-boil, add a beaten egg. It's light and filling, LC and protein from the egg. Also, use sf products like diet Sprite, sf jello, etc. You were probably drinking lots of water anyway, right?? If all else fails, just do what you have to do to get better and get right back at this WOL as soon as possible. In the whole scheme of things, a few days isn't so bad, after all. As long as you get better, that's what's important.

Hope you're better soon!

N.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 07:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
pudding and ice cream

Ummm...if you have a stomach bug, dairy products are not something that you should be eating for at least 24-48 hours after the vomiting has stopped according to my kids' pediatrician.

A lot of his recommendations could be done low carb; chicken broth with some light veggies instead of chicken noode or chicken rice soup, sugar-free jello and sprite. You can even make a sugar-free version of Gatorade, if you need to.

Bottom line, though, is that when you're sick you need to take it easy on your body so do whatever makes you feel the best and worry about losing weight when you're well.