Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 00:03
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 161/158.6/120
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default New member

Hi my name is vanessa and I am about to begin the atkins diet. I have tried it once before but stopped because I was really sick of having eggs for breakfast as I love my cereal and bread way to much but I have decided to do it again and stick to it this time. So if anyone has any tips on what they eat for breaky or lunch I am all ears . Thanks in advance .

Also I read in the book about protien shakes - I didn't take them the first time round and was wondering are they necessary or is there something else I should take and if yes where do I get them from.

thanks again

vanessa

Last edited by vanessa : Wed, Jun-12-02 at 00:09.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 05:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/193/160
BF:
Progress: 63%
Talking Hi Vanessa

Welcome back to Atkins!

Personally I have never had a protein shake. In my unprofessional opinion, you can do Atkins very successfully with no "special" lo-carb products. I do however partake in Lo-Carb icecream every now and then when I don't feel like my homemade stuff. I also have been known to nibble on LC chocolate.... that is where it ends though.

Some breakfast ideas:
Italian Sausages
Pork Chops
Lamb Chops
Half a tomato, some really nice cheese and some left over roast
Mild Salami with a slice of brie inside it
Celery Stick with a little blue cheese inside it wrapped in smoked salmon.

Lunch:
Stir Fry (no rice) reheated at work (Try SinSin's Stir Fry Wok Sauce)
Salad with meat (chicken, beef, whatever - that you marinated and grilled the night before)
Ceasar Salad no croutons (my usual order at a restaurant for lunch)
Shashimi sushi.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 07:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi Vanessa!

Welcome to the forum!

There is no law that says you must eat "breakfast food" for brekky. I often have chicken wings, lamb chops or a portion of leftover dinner from the night before. Try thinking outside the box.
I often make "muffin" frittatas (frittatas baked in a muffin tray). Very handy if you need to take breakfast with you as they are just as good cold as hot. You can take any quiche recipe and simply omit the pastry. For example, salmon frittata (makes 6) 4 eggs, dollop of cream, handful of grated cheese, small can salmon, chopped spring onion or other veg if I can be bothered.

Like Reymi, I have never had a protein shake, nor am I 'specially interested in having one! Many of the folk here who have them, are lifting weights and have higher protein requirements.

Vanessa, you mentioned in your journal not keeping track of your carbs. At the very beginning, I didn't count them, simply followed Dr As guidelines.
Nowadays, I use www.fitday.com which is a very handy free website, where you list your day's intake and it gives you a list of calories, carbs etc.

Good luck to you matey. If you have more questions (we all have heaps at first!), you can ask them here, or in the "Newbies Questions" forum. You are very welcome to step into my journal if there is anything I can help you with personally.

Rosebud

PS: Whereabouts in Oz are you?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 20:52
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Reymi and Rosebud

I think the hardest thing for me at the moment will be eating different things for breakfast but I am willing to give it a go. Rosebud I live in sydney. I have to say it is great to find this board cause I don't know anyone else who is doing a low carb way of eating and have heaps of questions. I am going to go over the book again today to refresh my memory of all the things I need to now but thanks for all your ideas I apprecaite it.

vanessa
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 01:12

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hi Vanessa and welcome aboard .
I got sick of eggs for breakfast early on in the piece but like them for luch. I sometimes have a protein shake for breakfast and it easierly keeps me happy till lunch
The other thing I have is reheated left over vegies and a slice of bacon.
Good luck with the program
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 21:55
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Jenny

thanks for the welcome. I haven't had a protien shake yet, would you buy them at the health food stores or is this something special you get somewhere? I have made myself an omlette in the mornings with cheese and ham and have been having this practically everday although I don't mind because it is nicer than just eggs.

thanks again
vanessa
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 04:22

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Ive purchased my protein powder form both the health food store and the supermarket.
The one I get most of the time has basically no carbs or fat in it. It happens to be a soy one and i like its earthy taste but many prefer whey based ones. Watch the lables though as many that say "Protein Powder" still have loads of carbs in them too
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 19:44
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for that I am of to the shops tomorrow and will have a look at the health food shops.

vanessa