Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 09:22

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 205/190/145
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Exercise Timing and Empty Tummies Revisited

Hi all you experts! I've looked at the past threads and have a question. I am an addicted runner and yoga person...I often run early in the day, before breakfast, but AFTER a cup of coffee with cream and sweetener (or two). It makes pretty good sense to me to not eat or not eat much before running so to access those fat cells so long as one is not hitting blood sugar walls while one is working out (only occasionally happens to me). How will the sweet white coffee effect that thought, do you think?

LocaJo
on my way out the door for the morning run!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 20:57
Registered Member

Plan: Super Mass Plan
Stats: 172/172/200
BF:
Progress: 0%

some say that artificial sweeteners cause insulin spikes just for the mere fact that the brain senses something sweet which causes the pancreas to release insulin.
I don't know if I believe this.
I use 4 tablespoons of Splenda everyday and have consistenly dropped bodyfat for the last 2 months.
I say drink your coffee and enjoy it.
Coffee is a thermogenic anyway and will aid in you in dropping BF.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 23:36

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 205/190/145
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default hehe misunderstanding

It's two cups of coffee with cream and a half packet of cyclamate in each cup! I dunno, it seems to me if my insulin was spiking, I would get that low blood sugar feeling WAY before the "hit the wall" feeling at the end of a run occasionally. Could be wrong, of course, been known to happen. But, there are lots of things I am willing to give up...coffee running (ask my PT) some sweeteners and diet sodas are not among those things! Moderation moderation. Thanks for your response.

Jo