Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 21:47

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Get in Shape With Running and Walking

Article from WebMD

By Lindsey Townsend

The new year is an ideal time to begin an exercise program. You're motivated, and you probably have more time than you did during the holidays. But plan your program for all seasons. You can walk or jog year-round, and enjoy fresh air while you're at it.
If you don't exercise regularly, experts agree that a walking program is the safest, most accessible way to get started. "Walking is ideal for older people or anyone wishing to start and maintain a program of physical activity. It's easy, it's safe, you don't need any special equipment except for a good pair of walking shoes, and you can do it anywhere, anytime," says Andrea Kriska, Ph.D., assistant professor of epidemiology at the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health. Last fall, researchers at the school reported that starting and maintaining a simple walking program may be the best way to prevent heart disease and reduce surgeries and hospitalizations later in life.

WALKING

Benefits: Improves cardiovascular fitness; lowers blood pressure; reduces the risk of bone loss; can do anywhere, anytime; low risk of injuries; only exercise virtually guaranteed to lengthen your life.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cons: Low on speed and action -- for true cardiovascular conditioning you may need to pick up the pace.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Must-Haves: Good walking shoes and a safe place to walk.
Cost: $150 to $180 year (based on two pairs of walking shoes).
The Walking Personality: Very appealing to nonathletic types who are intimidated by gyms, as well as those with a history of injuries; excellent for older people.

As a general rule, any exercise that causes your heart to beat fast and can be sustained for more than 20 minutes is good aerobic exercise. With walking, in a sense you're really targeting one main muscle -- the heart. For walking to be truly aerobic, though, you must walk energetically, not merely stroll, for at least 20 minutes three to four times a week. "I tell women to walk like they're in a hurry to get to a sale!" says Loren Middaq, a physical therapist with Peak Performance Physical Therapy in Los Angeles, Calif.
Ideally, while you walk you want to remain within your target heart rate for 30 to 60 minutes, but if you're just starting out, adjust down accordingly. To determine your target heart rate, first subtract your age from 220 to get your maximum heart rate; your target heart rate is 60 percent to 80 percent of this number (see the Target Heart Rate calculator). If figuring out your heart rate is too much of a hassle, try the "talk test" instead: During your workout, you should be breathing hard but not too winded to carry on a conversation.
Stretching is another important part of any exercise routine, even walking, to prevent injury and muscle soreness. "Walk first for five minutes, then stretch your calves, hamstrings, quadriceps and back muscles, holding each stretch steadily and not bouncing," says Mark Feiger, owner of Healthy Images Personal Training in Las Colinas, Texas. When you're finished with your workout, take another five to 10 minutes to repeat the stretching exercises you did after your warm-up.

RUNNING

Benefits: Superior aerobic exercise; good for weight management; minimal equipment needed.
Cons: Hard on bones and joints; impact injuries common; shoes must be replaced regularly; may be intimidating to novice exercisers.
Must-Haves: Good running shoes and a safe place to run.
Cost: 150 to $180 year (based on two pairs of running shoes).
The Running Personality: Tends to attract driven, Type-A personalities who enjoy using running time for "decompressing" and problem-solving.

While walking is the safest form of exercise, nothing beats running for cardiovascular conditioning and working the large muscle groups, including the quadriceps, hamstrings and gluteals. But there are definite hazards associated with the sport. "If you're an exercise beginner, I never recommend running. There's too much risk for injury such as shin splints, knee problems and tendinitis," says Middaq. People with previous knee, hip or back problems or a history or risk of cardiovascular disease should avoid running.
If you still want to feel the wind in your hair, begin with a walk/run program to avoid injury. Budd Coates, four-time Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier, recommends that a person with no running background begin with eight straight days of walking -- first, four days of 20 minutes, then four days of 30 minutes. After that, introduce two minutes of running alternating with four minutes of walking. Repeat this five times for a total of 30 minutes per workout.
With either sport, you will need the proper shoes. For walking, try lightweight walking shoes, and replace them every six months. You'll find that many elements of running shoes are also in walking shoes, particularly shock-absorbent heels and midsoles and extra heel padding. Dr. Carol Frey, associate professor of orthopedic surgery at the University of Southern California School of Medicine, suggests replacing running shoes every 300 miles if you run on hard surfaces and every 500 miles if you run on soft surfaces. While your local athletic store offers a myriad of options, keep in mind that the salesperson may or may not be knowledgeable. Bob Wischnia, shoe advice columnist for Runner's World Online, recommends spending at least $75 but no more than $90. For more information about running shoes, check out the American Running and Fitness Association's Web site.
Once you're out there running, try to run on even, soft surfaces whenever possible to help avoid ankle twists and sprains. If you must run on the roads, the Road Runners Club of America recommends that you run against oncoming traffic and choose blacktop roads whenever possible. If you're walking or running at night, remember to wear reflective clothing for safety and stay on familiar, well-lit streets.
Finally, before you hit the road, "I'd walk over to see my doctor first for a complete checkup," says Tom Brunick, technical editor for Runner's World Magazine and director of the Athletes' Footwear Test Center at North Central College in Naperville, Ill.
And remember, sticking with any regular exercise program is a marathon, not a sprint. "Too many people try to do too much too fast and end up getting hurt physically, emotionally, or both. Never increase mileage more than 10 percent a week, and if you have any pain, that's a warning sign. Stop and get it checked out right away," Brunick advises.

Medically reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD, a senior medical editor at WebMD, December, 2001.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 22:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/238/180
BF:
Progress: 31%
Angry Shin splints

I have been walking 30 min a day for the last 3 days
but now I have shin splints am I overdoing it, walking to fast, or to much
should I lay off a couple of days maybe ride my bike instead I have been enjoying the walks, but the shin splints are a little painful...... I guess I would see more scenery if I rode.......Hmm

Sonny
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 06:00

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question

what are shin splints?

Cheryl
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 06:23
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I always thought that shin splints were caused by not wearing the proper shoes or wearing old ones. Perhaps it is time for a new pair of good walking shoes?

When I used to Jazzercise a lot shin splints were always my indicator that it was time for a new pair.....and it always worked!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 10:54

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I dug up some info on shin splints:
Shin Splints

Shin Splints Data

Preventing Shin Spints

What are shin splints?

I hope this information is helpful!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 04:17

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for that, Fern.

I had a quick read of them and now I know.

Cheryl