Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 08:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/157.5/140
BF:
Progress: 54%
Question Would BFL work for me?

First, I am going to admit that I have not read the Body for Life book yet, but I have been intrigued by all of the comments and successes on this board. I bought the book last night, so I am going to start reading it after work this evening. Since there are so many “experts” here, I thought I would present my scenario to see if you think Body for Life would work for me.

I am 5’7” and I am hovering somewhere between 157 and 159 on the scale (25 pounds have been shed on Atkins). I have been working out fairly consistently for the past ten years, so I know a lot of my weight is in muscle. I am not as concerned about an ending body weight as I am about clothes size. I started Atkins at a 12-14 clothes size, and I have worked my way down to a large 8. Ultimately, I would like to end up a firm size 6. In recent weeks, I have been spending 1½-2 hours a day in the gym, 5-6 days a week. At first, I saw rapid weight loss, but I have not seen the scale budge in 2 weeks. I was hoping Body for Life could help me get to my desired size… better yet, in a 6 by the holidays.

My other concern is the eating... I know I can get in the 6 meals, but I think the main reason I have had success on Atkins is that I can dine out with my boyfriend and friends while staying on the plan. I have failed miserably countless times on Weight Watchers because I couldn’t enjoy meals out and stay on track. Would I still be able to dine out while doing Body for Life?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 08:33

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lisa. I don't see why it wouldn't work for you

Dining out is always 'doable' - whether you follow BFL by the book or keep doing it LC. And dining out on 'free day' is definitely 'doable'

Quote:
I have been spending 1½-2 hours a day in the gym, 5-6 days a week. At first, I saw rapid weight loss, but I have not seen the scale budge in 2 weeks. I was hoping Body for Life could help me get to my desired size… better yet, in a 6 by the holidays

Judging from your workout regime, I would say that you'd notice a difference with BFL owing simply to the fact that you would be working out less. By limiting weight workouts to 45 minutes 3x a week and cardio to 20 minutes 3x a week you'll probably see results right away.

2 hours a day, 5-6 times a week in the gym is excessive and can lead to overtraining, under recovering and no fat loss. Worse - no muscle gain. Muscles grow and heal when you are not in the gym - that time is more important, IMO, than the 45 minutes you spend in the gym 3x a week.

Have a read through the book and the forum while you decide what's in your future and let us know what you decide

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 09:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/157.5/140
BF:
Progress: 54%

Thanks for your quick response.

I agree with my current gym workouts being too much. I have noticed that my strength was starting to decrease, so I am going back to 30-45 minutes or so of cardio a day until I decide on a program. BFL looks like a plan I could stick with, so I hope to start as soon as I finish the book.

One more question... I have been avoiding all alcohol for the past 3 months. Would it be OK to have a glass of wine every so often on the BFL plan, or do I need to stay in avoidance mode?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 16:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wine, and all alcohol, is truly one of those YMMV things. It will slow fat burning and it will dehydrate you. In moderation is it a bad thing? Probably not. It's entirely up to you. I have found after a year of LCing that I just can't handle it and stay 'sharp' - so I save it for those days I spend on the beach on holidays.

Nat