Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 12:52

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default How they make sumo wrestlers fat

While sitting in a bookstore the other day I read several chapters of a LC book called The Greenwich Diet, written by a former bodybuilder, Carlin Colker, M.D. I found one section of the book interesting: He says that the traditional method of fattening sumo wrestlers is to starve them all day in order to shut down their metabolism. Then, at night they are fed clear broth with some meat and vegetables in it served with a pot of rice and tea. Another key point in the method is going to bed right after eating.

This sounds like what most people in this country would attempt in order to lose weight (and then wonder why they didn't). It's making me re-think my late night macadamia habit.

As for the rest of the book, I wouldn't recommend it. He advocates the use of ephedra and caffeine. He has a grudge against pork and he's obsessed with whey protein powder. He has his followers drink 3-4 meal replacement shakes a day (made by a specific brand that he plugs shamelessly).

He's so hung up on this protein powder that he puts a packet of it in his coffee! Eeeeewwwww! That's where I finally put down the book (and my foot!).

Allison
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 13:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I read that one too, Allison, and had the same reaction. Not just any old whey protein powder, either, but a specific brand. If I'm remembering correctly, by coincidence, the recommended vitams were the same brand.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 13:49

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%
Talking

Sumo wrestlers? I watched my first sumo match in its entirety last year. I have been hooked ever since. It just amazes me. You have these 500lb men crashing into one and the other, and flipping into the air on to the audience. It is truly an amazing site. I love it.