Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 22:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Thumbs down The Evils of Krispy Kreme

A Krispy Kreme just opened near me (Sydney, Australia) - the first one outside of North America. There were 4-hour-long queues, people camping out just to get them - so I wondered what all the fuss was about and CAVED BIG TIME (not in a 4-hour queue by the way, my conscience would have saved me in that time).

So the last few weeks I have been addicted to KK's and put on about 12 POUNDS!!! OMG!!! A figure I am not admitting to my husband, my head would roll!!!

So, back on to Atkins Induction Stage.

Oh well. At least I know what the remedy is for my excess!!!

I wonder if you can make a doughnut out of atkins bake mix???

Katt
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 23:08

BF:

I am replying to my own post, how narcissistic.

But what is really disappointing is to see my progress bar come back down to 17% after I was doing so well... oh well, will have to walk my butt off - literally!

The advantage of living & working in Sydney is that I can choose to exercise by walking across the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Lots of steps and a a view that is worth it!!!

Katt
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:30
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I don't see why you couldn't make doughnuts out of the Atkins bake mix. I used to make doughnuts for my kids from a homemade biscuit recipe (one without yeast). You could season the Atkins mix as you would a doughnut recipe, with nutmeg and allspice. And then fry then in a healthful fat, like an organic, expeller-pressed canola oil. They'd never be as "light" as the Krispy Kremes, of course.

I am personally thankful that I've never developed a taste for commercial doughnuts of any sort. But my kids used to LOVE Krispy Kreme. Fortunately, they now make do with my homemade variety.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 00:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/154/121 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 40%

hey i'm in sydney australia too! i tried krispy creme donuts at the itailan festival in liechhard they were giving out free boxes. once you start you can't stop!!! OMG they are soooo good, i have to abstain from them, if i even see a store i have to run the opposite direction!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 04:10

Plan: Atkins-CKD
Stats: 175/158.9/130 Female 5'2
BF:??/29.6/19
Progress: 36%

OMG - I feel your pain...I buy a six pack of Krispy Kreme's at least once a week.....its my Achilles heel.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:02

Stats: 249/175/150
BF:
Progress: 75%

Well, it's not Krispy Kreme for me, it's a store I work in, I work a part time job in a grocery store and of all departments for them to put me in, it was the...BAKERY! I did good at first, resisting the glossy, glazed donuts, the decadent, chocolate frosted Long Johns (Bavarian filled donuts). The beautifully frosted cakes and...well I could go on and on. But lately, I haven't done so well. I nibble a lot, sometimes I just go whole hog and make a pig out of myself. I've gained some weight back, I'm exercising more to try and make up for my bad choices, but I keep asking myself when I'm going to stop. Will I wait unitl I've gained it all back? I dread being fat again, I feel fat as it it, my stomach gets immediately bloated when I eat carbs, and I know this, but I still do it. How should I handle this? I can't quit this job, I need the extra income, I refuse to fall prey to my own weaknesses. I've got to beat this, but how?

Last edited by blue_g : Fri, Aug-08-03 at 11:04.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 20:29

BF:

Blue g,

Ask yourself WHY are you eating it - is it because you're hungry and it's right there in front of you, or is it when you're NOT hungry and it's right there in front of you??? If it's the former, can you take lots o' low-carb goodies to work with you???

If it's the latter I don't think I can help much, it would be the blind leading the blind

Katt
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power, low fat, low carb
Stats: 118/111/100 Female 5'6
BF:13%
Progress: 39%

I know how you all feel totally! I work at a video store where we have an EXTRA LARGE abundance of candy bars, chips, cookies, etc. you get the picture... junk food galore! I bring myself Low carb foods, but the junior mints and red vines are just so much more appealing! I know I have to stop, and I've really gotten better about it. Just keep telling yourself this: Is this high carb fattening food really worth ruining this? I can't really think of one high carb food that is worth ruining this weight loss, and "feel good" way of life. Anyway, good luck to you all, just stay strong!

Jessica
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 12:03

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

I read that KK puts potato flakes in as part of their recipe, which is like condensed carbs deluxe and makes them addicting.

I can IMAGINE the smell of them and gain weight. They opened one in my area and I swear, just driving by and smellng it makes me hungry the REST OF THE DAY.

How is that possible? Krispy Kremes are EVIL.

If I were a lawyer, I would start a class action law suit because they put something in them that is ADDICTIVE (lol Belmont Lil et al vs Krispy Kreme Inc)
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 12:46

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

Wow - yuk! Potato flakes
No - I used to eat a KK here & there back in the carby days, but was able to avoid the addiction. Now, the smell of them repulses me.
Glad to hear you are back on track Katticus - good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 04:01

Stats: 190/180/150 Female 5'7"
BF:?
Progress: 25%

Krispy Kremes.....oh man, those are my weakness. *sigh*
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 22:20

Plan: protien power/Low carb
Stats: 234/234/158 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking

Krispy Kreme is the reason I started Low-Carb. I came back from Florida (Disney World), and I had eaten about a couple dozen while I was in Florida for 2 weeks.. ....and I was 25 lbs heavier when I came home to Philly. And I was already overweight when I went to Florida. So, I started Low-carb and I love it! I used to do WW, and I would try to eat one Krispy and count the points. Points counting Krispy Kremes is impossible. I went from 225 to 187 since then. So, now I'm feeling preety good. But I can never eat one of those donuts ever again. They just opened a location in Philly. I'm staying away. You can not just eat one. I think they put crack in them...

roxie
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 08:14

Stats: 249/175/150
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Hey Katt!

Good questions, indeed! I usually eat because I'm hungry at first, then the sugar in the foods that I ate, of course make me want more and more. I usually try to do damage control, I'll go to the deli department and buy a couple of pieces of lunch meat and cheeses to munch on while working. I think it's because I go straight from my day time job to my night time job with no real time in between to sit and eat a decent meal. I'll start asking myself, "am I hungry, or am I just craving it because it's there?" I guarantee it'll be the latter. Which we all know is the WORST reason in the world to eat. I'm doing better these days. But every now and then I still find myself nibbling on the wrong stuff. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely take it.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 06:53

Plan: modified Atkins,real food
Stats: 190/176.5/160 Female 5'8"
BF:42,36.5,29
Progress: 45%
Thumbs down foodaholics and KK

Well, KK, are a big hit!!!! They are so so addicting!!! That is the whole idea of the fast food industry. I work in Walmart, and they are going to put KK place right in our store. OMG, that is bad!! We are a majority of overweight people already!!! I am going to have to take a route so that I don't pass them. Working with food is a problem when you have a weight problem. It would be like an alcoholic being a bartender. It usually does not work. Think about something else maybe. We are foodaholics, and just the smell sometimes can start something bad. Something to think about.
Cya, KarenL.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 10:25

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

I've been working in a coffee shop for about a month now, and we get the most amazing pastries and goodies from 4 different local bakeries. It is so hard, especially when all the other girls (skinny or not) eat them CONSTANTLY! THey keep saying "one bite won't hurt!" I've tried to tell them that it will hurt, but they don't believe it. They think I'm too uptight about it. Needless to say-I'm looking for a new job. I don't need this in my life. The pay isn't all that great anyway.