Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 10:24

Plan: Self Made Plan
Stats: 194.2/191.6/150 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Abdominal Pain

Ok so I have thought about if I should post this or not, and I feel like I need to put it out there and see if any of you have gone through anything similar. I have been living low carb for 8 weeks now, with no problems what so ever. Within the last week, I have kept the same foods and eating as usual, and I have been experiencing extreme abdominal pain within about an hour after eating and lasting for about 2-3 hours. Usually for the first 30 minutes its pretty intense where I just want to lay down until its over, then I can function because I have to but I still feel like crap. It seems to happen after I eat breakfast and lunch and then throughout the rest of the day I am really careful of what I eat because I'm at work and I don't want to get sick at work. It almost makes me feel like I don't want to eat anymore. The pain I am having is mostly stomach aches, like I feel like I need to vomit or go to the bathroom to feel better. But I haven't vomited. I have talked to a few friends who are Medical Professionals and of course they blame it on the "diet". Some also mentioned gallbladder issues. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I don't want to let it go for to long, if it's serious. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 11:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Gallbladder perhaps?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 13:44

Plan: My Plan!
Stats: 241/189/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Sounds like you should see a doctor!

I had an annoying pain in the upper right abdominal area after eating. I still have it once and a while, though not as consistent as before. I thought it was a gallbladder issue, so I went to the doctor, had an ultrasound, but there were no gallstones. But I remember reading that if the stone was in the bile duct, it wouldn't show up on the ultrasound, and I suspect that is the case! My doctor doesn't know what the pain is, and doesn't seem concerned about it. Hopefully I will push that stone out!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 13:55

Plan: Self Made Plan
Stats: 194.2/191.6/150 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Yeah some have suggested gallbladder, today so far no problems, I thought maybe it was some bad food I ate too, meat perhaps, but who knows. I will see how it is and if it continues into next week, to the doctor I go!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 16:02
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Yes, yes I started getting stomach aches. Its always a little while after I eat, and makes me feel kind of nauseated for a while. I started taking zantac, I've been under stress and maybe making too much stomach acid? The stomach aches ended after the 2nd day on zantac. BTW stomach pain is on the left, sometimes the acid gets into the esophagus on the center, gall bladder on the right. I had it a long time ago and saw the doctor, so I just did the same stuff this time.

But noone could tell me if zantac is a staller.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 15:21

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

Gall stones is caused by a low fat diet. I had to have mine removed about 5 years ago. I started Low carbing 4 years ago.
Or it could be IBS or acid reflux. Acid reflux is something that needs to be treated by a Dr. but if it's IBS you may need to add more fiber to your diet.
It's a shame that if your doing Atkins that you can't get sick or hurt with out people blaming the diet. Awhile back I lost alot of blood from internal bleeding & then here comes some people" it's that diet" Boy did I feel relieved when they told me to eat more red meat for iron & this is very slow growing & that I've had it for many years.