Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 09:22
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%
Lightbulb Fibromyalgia Cure!?

I've replied to some posts on this thread with this book. I thought I would start a new thread so that more people would notice it.

There is a new book out on fibromyalgia called "What your doctor may not tell you about fibromyalgia," by R.Paul St. Amand, M.D. and Claudia Craig Marek.

At the most, the book offers a reason and a cure. At the leastk, it offers more insights and triggers to avoid. The book made a lot of sense to me. I hope it is helpful.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 13:39
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

hi Zuleika,

I haven't read St. Amand's book yet, but I am aware of his programs, and guaifenesin treatment protocols. The guai program is tough, and not many doctors support it, since it's still considered experimental. There are no scientific studies done to date to test St. Amand's theories. That being said, many fibromites are finding some relief and control of their symptoms by following his regimen.

In her book, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain: A Survival Manual, Dr. Devin Starlanyl outlines her experiences using guafenesin, and following St. Amand's program. Here's an exerpt:
Quote:
... It is not a cure. I must still practice sound nutrition, bodywork, mind work and the other lifestyle modifications important to the FMS&MPS Complex patient, but I feel that Guai has made a decided difference in my quality of life, and allowed me to do much more than I could have done otherwise. I want others to know that there are options.

Guaifenesin therapy was developed by Dr. R. Paul St. Amand. It is experimental. We don't know how it works.

... St. Amand feels that FMS develops in a cyclical process. At first, there are times when we experience symptoms interspersed with periods where we feel ok. Sometimes we are unaware of what is happening at this stage. The periods without symptoms get shorter, the symptomatic episodes become more frequent and the symptoms worsen. This is what St. Amand calls "cycling". He believes that Guai therapy reverses this process.

read more here

We had a discussion here in the Fibromyalgia Forum about following the guaifensin protocol; folks might be interested to read it here.

As a low-carber, I'm particulary interested in St. Amand's work and research into hypoglycemia and the link with fibromyalgia. He calls this fibroglycemia, and recommends a controlled-carb diet to treat it. St. Amand states:
Quote:
... Simply put, the fibromyalgic has a deranged metabolism inducing contracted muscles, ligaments and tendons, which constantly burn fuel. Energy deprivation occurs system- wide. For those with a predisposition, yielding to carbohydrate craving provides the final push to induce hypoglycemia. These are ill patients who suffer overlapping symptoms of combined diseases. No compromise is allowed with the carbohydrate intolerance syndrome. One eats correctly or the illness continues. The reward is great, however, since well-being is exhilarating when contrasted with the disabling symptoms of hypoglycemia. It is yours to control.

read more here
St. Amand's website has lots of good information for those who are interested, and unable to find his book. Check it out ... http://www.guaidoc.com/

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 16:19
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks Doreen!

What a good read! As I said I put the book about FM here so more people would read it. Your response and links are even more helpful.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 18:16

Plan: Gary Heavin-Curves for Women
Stats: 152/138/120
BF:
Progress: 44%
Thumbs up FMS Suffer on Guai

I read Dr. Amand's book 2 years ago and have been on Guai since then. The book was so helpful it explained everything in a way I could understand. I also viewedt he video tape he has out and it describe me exactly, even my mom thought so. I have been on Guai for 2 years now with tremendous results. They have a web site that gives names of Doctors who support this Doctor. You might want to look that up to get more information. There is actually 2 really good web sites about FMS and Guai.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 23:21

Plan: protien power
Stats: 326/300/190
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default fms and treatment

good luck to those of y ou on guai! i have friends who have had some recovery with that so good luck to you being on the low carb woe has given me 3/4 of my energy back and that much pain lessened. i heard about the guai(thats what they call it in aus-THE guai after id been low carbing, and opted to stay doing what im doing, as i have had very good success. im so glad we have a few choices now to help us with cfids and fms. good luck to all of you!
best,
deb