Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 18:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/161/140 Female 178cm
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Karen:any advice on following culinary dream?

Hi Karen,

I hope this isn't too off-topic but I was wondering if you could give me your advice on a dilemma I've been having regarding a possible career in the culinary world. I have always wanted to be a chef, from the time I was a kid, but always left it as my fall-back option if everything else failed. I'm coming close to making the decision to finally follow my heart and train to be a chef, but I have a couple of big problems: first is my committment to low-carbing for life, and second (and probably more serious) is my gluten intolerance (no wheat, rye, barley etc). I know that at some point in my career I will hopefully be in a position where this won't be an issue (like when I am head of my own restaurant...), but until then I believe these two things might be a major handicap for me. I have no problem learning to cook with things I can't (or won't) eat, but I imagine that not being able to eat what I cook might be a problem in culinary school, and later on the job. I'm especially afraid that it might hinder my job prospects if my prospective employer knew. Have you had any experience with chefs who had serious dietary restrictions, but still managed to cook mainstream food? Is this something I should let stop me from pursuing this career?

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.

I also appreciate the time and energy you put into this forum - it's the main reason I joined, even though you can see I'm not a very active poster

Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 20:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't think you should let anything stand in the way of following your dream. But I'll also tell you that it's not easy.

Your gluten intolerance may hamper you, but there's always tasting and spitting. That's what I do. You don't have to swallow if you don't want to. You have to know the taste of what you're making and what you're tasting for in certain dishes. Once you know the techniques and how to "construct" from flavours and textures you'll be well on your way.

If your goal is to succeed against whatever fate has thrown you then you will. Pig-headed chefs, grueling hours, low pay, high stress and great physical demands notwithstanding. But if it's something you love, you'll do it for the sheer passion and the thrill of getting better each day at what you do. There's nothing quite like it. Your work becomes a part of another human being, and that's a wonderful feeling.

Do it! There's nothing worse than living to regret the choices you've made in life.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 06:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/161/140 Female 178cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks, Karen, for your honest advice.

It's not a decision I'm going to make lightly, but I'm slowly realizing that any career you choose can be the most grueling in the world if you don't really enjoy doing it!

At least I won't let these minor dietary setbacks stand in the way.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 10:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
but I'm slowly realizing that any career you choose can be the most grueling in the world if you don't really enjoy doing it!
It's true. Better to be alive and doing something you love than die a slow death doing something you can't stand..

Karen