Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%
Default just wanted to say

I have officially carb'd myself silly in this my first ever carb up after 10 days of induction (NHE plan)...and I am scaring even myself with my capacity to eat this many carbs in one sitting !!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 22:33

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftnlady
I have officially carb'd myself silly in this my first ever carb up after 10 days of induction (NHE plan)...and I am scaring even myself with my capacity to eat this many carbs in one sitting !!

LMAO! nice work!

feel warm and thirsty?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 22:51
Registered Member

yes, I got extremely thirsty and forgot that you said that would happen, I also got quite the cramp in my calf when doing my legs tonight. Interestingly enough I was still in ketosis after all the carbs, I guess the 800mg of ALA helped.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 23:17

nice!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 03:58
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

You worked out during carb-up or after? It's best not to work out during carb-up, as this defeats the purpose. Well, not totally, but when lifting you are using glycogen which would be keeping you from "super-compensating" glycogen in your muscle during carb-up, which is the whole point of eating the tons and tons of carbs.

Myself, I take as many naps, hehe, as I can.....it's not hard, those carbs really make you drag a%# in short time! It's truly a day or two off after the depletion workout is over, depending on how long I decide to carb-up.

Also, you should definetly not be in ketosis during or immediately after carb-up. Have you read anywhere about eating fruit right before your depletion workout to kick you out of ketosis for the workout? This will make you burn more glycogen duing your depletion workout instead of burning fat as energy, thereby setting your muscles up to better supercompensate glycogen storage during carb-up. Of course, your body still spills ketones to some extent after going out of ketosis, as it is getting rid of the excess that you are not using any more.

Last edited by Chipperoo : Thu, May-13-04 at 04:05.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 09:35
Registered Member

well I will have to defer to LegWarmers on this one as she is directing me on this program. I am following NHE which is a little different, and I am not sure that the carb load is for the same purposes as CKD. But I am sure she willbe along to provide insight.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 15:32
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Well, I've just read in the general exercise thread what NHE is and I see you're not really doing a CKD type carb-up, but a different type of carb. cycling. I was just trying to help, as this is the CKD forum and I thought you were doing CKD.

Maybe if ya'll really like the board and the NHE thing, ya'll can get the higher ups to make a sub-forum here for that. Sounds very interesting and very promising to me, good luck and keep us informed. These exercise forums are getting more exciting,interesting, and informative with all the new people of late and that's really cool!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftnlady
well I will have to defer to LegWarmers on this one as she is directing me on this program. I am following NHE which is a little different, and I am not sure that the carb load is for the same purposes as CKD. But I am sure she willbe along to provide insight.

yeah we're really not dealing with ketosis... which is why i never test for it.

but anyway our carb loads are intended for keeing cortisol, test, catecholamines, and all that level... and keeps the thyroid happy.

from extique.com: ...if you carb-load on the day before resistance training, you may experience a slight increase in workout intensity, but you will also burn slightly less fat during and after your work-out - in other words, "six vs. half a dozen." If you schedule your carb-load for the same day (after) your workout, you'll get an "anabolic boost" from the insulin surge at that time. Otherwise, you'll get an anabolic boost later, during the recovery period - in other words, "six vs. half a dozen."
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 07:20
Registered Member

Plan: CKD - modified
Stats: 160/148/125 Female 68
BF:22%/20.6%/14%
Progress: 34%
Default Hi :P

Just figured I'd say 'hi' to my pals from FM :-)

Peace,
Pen
-------
Pawbreakers - The Candy for Cats!
http://www.pawbreakers.com
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 11:40
Registered Member