Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 22:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/247.5/130 Female 5'6"
BF:49/47/?
Progress: 20%
Default caffiene

This is my first time here, it's a little confusing But here goes we'll try anyway. Does anyone know if caffiene can STALL you? I've been doing Atkins faithfully for 5 weeks have only lost 13 pounds, this is really slow for me, but weight isnt my WHY health is, but anyway the one thing I havn't given up YET is Diet coke every time I try cold turkey I get Really sick! ( that caffiene is a bad actor) so I have been trying to cut down the amounts hopefully this will work. ANY thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ttyl
Robyn
Ps:
this sight is Great !! cant wait till I figure it out (HELP)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 09:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/256/140
BF:too much
Progress: 19%
Talking Hello

Well you have found a good site to learn lots of new things, I to am new and have found this site to have lots of valuable info, along with great advice. People on this site really do care, I'am sure you will love it here. About your problem.....are you drinking alot of water???? 13-14lbs is good for 5 weeks and you should be proud of what you have accomplished. Some people just lose slower because of there metabolism, you can read more in Adkins book why. I too drink caffeine, coffee, (soda once in a while) thats my down fall but I only have 1 cup in the morning and then drink water the rest of the day. Any where between 8-10 cups a day. I also work out 5 days a week, which seems to help me alot.
Are you in Lipolysis? You may want to use lipolysis testing strips: Chemically treated paper test strips or sticks that give a reading when exposed to urine. If acetone is present in the urine as a result of incomplete breakdown of Fatty and Amino acids in the body, the test strips change color, indicating Ketosis. This happens when Ketone bodies form as a result of a low carbohydrate dietary regime, allowing Fats (and Proteins) to be oxidized (meaning burned) for fuel. ( found on Adkins site)
Hope this helped, just remember, it took along time for you to gain the weight, it will take some time to lose it. And besides thats 13-15 lbs of "butter" (fat) that you are not walking along with.
Take Care, and keep up the good work!!!!!!!!
Stephanie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 09:03
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

13 lbs is great!!! You are eating healthy and enjoying things you like (including coffee) and still losing weight in a slow and healthy pace.

Can't seem to find a problem here....

A staller would be preventing weightloss so I don't think the caffeine is an issue for you.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 09:42

Hey stephanie & Lisa

This is so cool!!
Thanks for the cheer!
In answer to your questions, yes I drink about 130 ounces of water a day, since your supposed to drink at least half your weight in ounces.yes I use Keto stix, but, no I havn't been able to achieve Ketosis, wich is more what I meant about a stall than actual weight loss. I normally lose weight very fast, on anything other than low carb, But this time I'm doing it for my health and I am NOT going to have to do it again!! 3 years ago I lost 80 lbs down to a sz14 & about 3 years before that I did the same thing. NO MORE YO-YO! I am also walking 30 min to an hour -6 days a week and circuit weight traing 3 days a week. My Husband has been mostly low carb for the last three years( since he had a double by-pass) for his health, LC is great for your health & my Blood preasure was way up so I decided I'd better get on the band wagon. and my blood preasure is down to about normal now so thats great. it's just this ketosis thing I've tried doing this probably 4 or 5 different times (no cheating) and I just havn't been able to get there. I guess the next step is a fat fast if it's not the caffiene.

thanks for your suggestions
Robyn

ps
I have read "Atkins new Diet Revolution" a couple of time over the years. It's a great book isn't it?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 09:55
The evolution of me

BF:

A fat fast is for those who can't lose weight doing induction.

If you really think that your weightloss is inordinately slow (and I don't think that is true personally).

Before you start something that can be very unhealthy for some... post your meals on fitday daily and see your numbers (calories, fat, protein and carbs) see if you are eating too much... to little (that happens more often and stalls losing weight).

Ask us for help to tweek the healthy eating first.

I am sorry if I upset you here, but I really think you are overreacting here.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 10:47

Lisa

Of course you didn't upset me at all!
I appreciate any suggestions!
Just realized I didn't give you much info to work with. It's ok if it's slower than before I expected that, but the keto stix never even show a trace, that is my concern. Is "fit day" the same as the journal? I think I started a Journal a few minutes ago, I'm afraid Im still confused about how to make things work. But I'll keep trying ANY help is appreciated!!

Thanks, Robyn

ps
I will wait on the fat fast for other advice! thanks
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 10:52
The evolution of me

BF:

So glad I didn't push you away with my opinions.

No a journal on this forum is great. Please post your daily menus - after a day it will be associated with your account and whenever you post we can get to you.

I promise to check out your menus and see if I can help at all.

FITDAY.COM is a free site that a lot of us use, where you can plug in your foods and see the daily totals. I find it helpful but that is up to you.

And....keto sticks work for some. Work sometimes. Don't necessarily show if you are buring fat.

If you are losing -- you are losing but lets check out your menus for a week and see if we can MAYBE speed things up by something obvious.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 16:59
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Keto stix don't work for everybody. The doctors who created the GO diet have said that they only measure the lesser one of the two chemical indicators of Ketosis, so you can register negative on the stix and still be in ketosis. The question is are you losing weight, and you clearly are.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 18:36

Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

Hi Robyn

I've got to put my two cents in here because I've had specific experience with this. Two weeks into LC, I gave up my diet coke. I had the worst head aches and felt terrible. I weaned off using unsweetened iced tea. However, now heres the rub, I never gave up coffee. I still drink lots of coffee. The head aches had nothing to do with the caffeine. I even had joint pain for a few days after quitting the diet cokes. I firmly believe it had everything to do with aspartame and having withdraws from that. I never thought aspartame was bad necessarily until I had this experience. I did get better after like 5 days or so. I haven't had a diet coke since January 10th. The very next day after quitting the cokes I went into Large ketosis for the very first time (and I've never left large ketosis since) and lost a pound a day for a week. I was amazed at how diet cokes were holding me back from losing weight.

My suggestion to you is to kick the aspartame sweetened diet cokes and all sweetened drinks if you can and see what it does for you. I expect you will be pleasantly surprised.

I used to crave diet cokes. Now I just look at them as dirty water

Julie Huck
310/274/160

Last edited by Julie Huck : Mon, Feb-24-03 at 18:38.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 23:56

Julie,

thanks so much. that is what I was afraid of. but definatley needed to know. I was pretty sure I was going to have to quit, but I dont want too!! Oh well "whatever it takes" I will be healthy!! Last time I tried to kick the habit I got headaches so bad I was throwing up, man was I sick!! I'm not looking forward to doing it again. last time I had to give up because I had to work and there was no way I could. But I'm not working now so I guess I just ran out of excuses. Well onward and upward( or should I say downward) now, I just have to decide when I can be sick for a week. probably next monday, my husband is going to be here this weekend I don't want to be sick then. so now I'll get ready, and then look out!

thanks again
all this support is really wonderfull
Robyn
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 12:51

Stats: 269/245/150 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Cool

I too used to drink alot of Diet Coke. Started Atkins on Jan 19th, no more Diet Coke and by Jan 20th felt awful. The day got worse and the headache was a killer. I got headspins while my boyfriend was driving and I made him pull the car over. Ate a $20 dinner, went back to my hotel and threw it up, what a waste of money. I knew Doc A had said withdrawal could be strong, he even said the stronger the better 'cuz you're getting junk out you don't need.
Slept like a log, and felt amazing on Jan 21st. No headache, no bad tummy and no cravings.
Since then, I've been in Ketosis every day and have lost 21.5 lbs. That's my 2 cents. If you try it, it'll be rough, but hopefully you'll find a rainbow on the other side in just a day or two.
Elaine