Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 397/364/154 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default i weigh 309 pounds will cardio be the best for me to burn fat

[I][B][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=darkblue]
Hey you all, got a question for you all, i have just started going to the gym and also started back on induction after 3 weeks on a low fat diet, i am doing 40 mins 5 days a week on the treadmill, and nothing else, i dont want to lift weights because at the momment it is very inportant for me to see pounds lost on the scales to keep me motivated, it is not eady going to the gym especially in the uk weighing 309 pounds but i am doing it,will me doing the treadmill, for 40 mins 5 days a week make a big difference to my weight loss, it will not build muscle will it, i am trying to build my time to 1hour at a time and do 20 mins on the exercise bike, also i tried xenedrine and it made me nervous, and could not sleep even on a half dose, is there anything else i can take, that helps speed up weight loss,please please help me, thanks roch
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

At your weight it's probably moot whether cardio or weights is better. Just walking is a weight workout for you, I imagine. I also guess it is difficult for you to get your heart rate very high while on the treadmill. A slow pace on a treadmill burns a higher percentage of fat calories than any other exercise.

You are burning tremendous amount of calories just walking on a treadmill. The only reason for weights is to build muscle mass so that you are burning more calories while doing cardio. So stick with cardio for now.

The Adkins diet will make you lose weight faster than any other diet and it works without chemical help.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 20:14

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

Roch
Wow, congratulations on your progress. And well done on getting to the gym.
IMO you should start lifting and building some muscle mass. It will increase your fat loss., increase your metabolism and make you feel better and stronger.
There is a diminishing effect from cardio. Much more than 40 minutes per session is considered by many to be unnecessary. You could consider using that extra time for lifting.
Get a trainer if you can, to make sure you are doing it correctly and to keep the intensity high. Best of luck.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 15:29

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Roch,
Glad to see your making a commitment to working out. I can understand needing the motivation right now and not wanting to see any weight gains by muscle mass. Here's the quick bottom line. The right combination of weight and reps for a resistance training session can help you gain strength and not add any mass. The important thing to realize is this: Cardio will raise your metabolism for 4-6 hours at most after your workout. Resistance training can raise your metabolism for 24-48 hours after a workout depending on the intensity.

The end game is to cut carbs, burn fat, and raise your metabolism. This will maximize your loss. I recommend a simple resistance program 3 days per week. Your welcome to take a look at my routine for an example. Better yet a Personal Trainer can help set up a program suited to your goals and help you get going.

Regards,
Lux
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 15:37

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/198/185
BF:
Progress: 68%

Don't take this the wrong way, but with your body weight, walking may not be the best cardio workout for you, i would start doing cardio on machines that will be easier on your joints. Cycling and stairstepping machines are always good ones, also those machines that mimic cross-country skiing would be better for your joints. If you put to much pressure on your joints, then they are more susceptible to injury.

Great work on getting to the gym, keep up the positive attitude