Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269/243/200 Male 6' 00"
BF:39%/32%/25%
Progress: 38%
Default Hey, what gives?

I'm into induction week 4... I lost 10 lbs. my first two weeks, but slowed to a stand-still for the last week and a half.

Well yesterday was very stressful at work, and I ended up overindulging on alcohol. Of course, my inhibitions when down and I had two glasses of milk and four cookies.

I thought... well, I blew it for today... I'll start back up immediately tomorrow.

For sure I thought that my weight would increase. In fact, I lost two pounds with no change in fat %. I know that weight fluctuates and all... but I *felt* heavier, and I *know* that I overdid it...

Did the carbs just pass through for a day???

Vowing never to cheat again,
JF3
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 12:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

JF, this happens to a lot of us... it can mean a few things.

1) the rebound weight hasn't caught up with you yet
2) you were due to lose it anyway (and you were - it's common to lose big during Induction, slow down a few weeks then *bam* start losing again)
3) you're dehydrated from the alcohol.

If the weight stays off over the next few days then I'd go with "2" or "4".

4) Your body is trying to tell you it would lose better with a few more carbs.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 13:03

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

jf3-

slow and easy.... it took more than a few months to get where we are today.... so it will take more than a few months to get it off.....

Keep up the great work!
Take care,
M-
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 15:44
Registered Member

Stats: 195/183/135
BF:
Progress: 20%

Don't worry too much about what you did or did not do- just focus on the here and now. If you keep on trying, you will get it right!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 16:25
Registered Member

Stats: 186/167/148 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

JF3 .. I was wondering the same thing.. I cheated, went and ate mexican food, chips and salsa and even had a flour tortilla. I thought I just really blew it. Well my weight went down by about 2 lbs.. I was relieved.. The lbs never showed up.. But I am more careful. I know i can't eat that kind of food and continue to lose. But I can't figure out why I didn't gain weight...

Tasha
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 17:27

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Now before everyone starts going out for a one-night-binge in order to lose a couple quick pounds, let me just say that it doesn't always work that way. The two times I've cheated (once with Long John Silver's fish...the other time with M&Ms), I didn't lose. After my Long John Silver's episode, I was thrilled to be the same weight the next morning...only to go up a couple of pounds within another couple of days. It came off two weeks later and I'm back on track but it sure wasn't worth losing those two whole weeks just for that one meal! The M&Ms didn't seem to have any effect one way or the other...except maybe prolonging the mini-stall I was in.

So...cheaters, beware! You may get away with it some of the time...but then again, you may not!

Tricia
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 18:49

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Two-day cheat rule.....

hiya'

I found, for myself, that I can cheat one day... never two... and it has no consequences. Perhaps it is the same for you.

Remember that it takes 48 hours for your body to convert to burning fat? My belief is that it must take the same amount of time to do the opposite. At least for me it does.

Last edited by quietone : Thu, Mar-27-03 at 18:52.