Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Thumbs up Super Size Me

Took my 12 yr old to see this movie.... His father thinks nothing of keeping him on a fast food diet.

Great movie, shows the ramifications of eating unhealthy.

Take your kids to see it.

It should be a mandatory film in all schools in this nation... over and over and over again.... til they get it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 09:27

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

I have not seen the movie, but I do have an observation based on what I have heard about the movie. Critics of low carb diets like to say that it will lead to heart disease. When informed that most people see an improvement in their lipids, they say that a six or a twelve month study is not long enough, and that long-term it will catch up with us. Now, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the gentleman in "Super Size Me" have an increase of 53 points in his cholesterol in just one month? It sure seems to me that if this WOE was going to ruin our blood lipids we would certainly start to see something within one year. Granted, some people do have problems with this, but the vast majority do not, and actually see improvements.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 09:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I am dying to do a sequel to this documentary...lol. I wonder if I could get McDonald's to pay for it??? My idea, however, is to eat at McDonald's for a month choosing only healthy items from their menu...i.e. bacon and eggs, burger without bun, salad, etc. I bet my results would show the exact opposite of what the original documentary shows

L
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 09:49

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Great idea, Whyspers.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 10:08

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

There is NOTHING healthy at Macdonald. Everything is swimming in hydrogenated fat, chemicals, preservatives, sugars, MSG.. you name it, it's in there. The only thing that seems intact are the salad greens. But even then, I wouldn't trust them not to add additives to make it fresher longer.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 10:16

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
There is NOTHING healthy at Macdonald. Everything is swimming in hydrogenated fat, chemicals, preservatives, sugars, MSG.. you name it, it's in there. The only thing that seems intact are the salad greens. But even then, I wouldn't trust them not to add additives to make it fresher longer.

Bingo!

I think the point of the film was to illustrate what the majority of folk eat when they do McDonald's. I used to work with a crowd that ate MickyD's every day for lunch and there was never a salad or yogurt parfait to be seen.

I liked the film and thought Spurlock did a fair job with the material... even at the end he did not go for the hard sell - reminded me a lot of Eric Schlossinger's Fast Food Nation.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 10:17
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I second what angeline said!

Their eggs are fried in margerine. Their chicken is injected with a solution that contains partially hydrogenated oil, their burger seasoning has that stuff too not to mention loads of MSG, sugar and god knows what other junk not to mention the poor quality meat.

There is nothing healthy at Mc. Donalds!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/south beach
Stats: 176/122/125 Female 5'4"
BF:31%/16%/17%
Progress: 106%

It's very hard to eat what is deemed as "healthy" food out these days. I don't think that this is something that's exclusive to McDonald's. Such being said, you can easily do a salad, some yogurt and some water and be fine.

I had a really hard time with this film -- and honestly, didn't enjoy it that much. I think it really promotes the wrong message about blaming other people for one's own personal irresponsibility. As i've continued to say, anything in excess will be of some damage to your health -- not just fast food, but pretty much anything you can name.

While I can understand and empathize w/ Spurlock's point, i have a hard time taking him too seriously.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Exclamation

Hate to burst your happy meal balloons.. but according to facts presented in this excellent documentary....... Mickey D's salads are the most fattening because of the sugared pecans, and salad dressings...... The salads blew Big Mac's outta the water.

I'd like to see this film shown in all schools to all children that are being raised on fast food.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 12:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/136/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

it was a good movie though. But we all know fast food isnt healthy. I mean anyone who eats it 3x a day everyday and nothing else? what did you really think was going to happen? But I did enjoy all of the nutrional info, made me want to buy nothing but organic food from his girlfriend, I'd love to try her stuff. I bet its so good and fresh! It looked delicious
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 13:06

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Is this movie being shown, or can you rent it???
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 13:22

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

i didn't like that this movie seemed to be suggesting that low fat dieting was the key to health. hasn't it been shown that low fat dieters not only decrease LDL but HDL, while low carb only decreases LDL....?!

when i saw the PCRM dude i wanted to throw things at the screen.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/south beach
Stats: 176/122/125 Female 5'4"
BF:31%/16%/17%
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
Hate to burst your happy meal balloons.. but according to facts presented in this excellent documentary....... Mickey D's salads are the most fattening because of the sugared pecans, and salad dressings...... The salads blew Big Mac's outta the water.

I'd like to see this film shown in all schools to all children that are being raised on fast food.

Umm -- I have a hard time accepting EVERYTHING that Spurlock said in that documentary (if that's what you want to call it) as truth. That's just me -- and besides, anyone who's health concious or is counting calories, carbs, whatever, should know to keep clear of most salad dressing. McDonald's uses Newman's -- not their own brand. What spurlock failed to mention is that the balsamic vinigarette has MUCH fewer calories than the ranch for example.

My children will not be seeing this -- I think this film really makes people think it's okay to sue others for their own irresponsibility.