Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/195/145 Female 5'9"
BF:31%
Progress: 33%
Default stalls

What exactly are they? How long do they last? I mean I want to start trying some of the foods that stall some people, but how soon will I know it's a stall? Do I depend on ketostix for this? I had a whiskey and diet coke last night, but everything seems okay as far as keto readings go and the only thing I noticed was that it only took one drink for me to feel pretty tipsy and this morning I woke up extra early, thirsty and FULL of energy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 20:01
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

An official stall is where you don't lose weight or inches in 6 weeks. However, when adding foods to your plan you can usually tell if it is OK in about a week or so. At least that is what I use. If I am still losing weight in a week or two after adding whatever new food I choose I assume the food is OK for me.

Be careful with the alcohol-your body burns that first instead of fat. And it does affect you quicker on LC-which actually means you are now a cheap drunk.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 20:27
Registered Member

Default another question then

it's a good thing I pay for my own drinks then. Hee. It's been about a week since I have lost any weight and I don't think I have ate anything that might have stalled me. Until last night. But the whole time my ketostix have been definatly reading in the moderate range so I wasn't worried til now. Can you be in a stall and still get keto readings in the moderate range?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 20:59

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

While I use the ketosticks, I don't rely on them. A high fat meal can give you a false reading as can being dehydrated. The most accurate reading you'll get is 1st thing in the AM before eating anything. Chances are you're still in ketosis, but also watch your weight & measurements to be sure. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 21:22
Registered Member

Default Sooo,

Can I be in ketosis and be stalled at the same time? I lost fourteen pounds in the first two weeks and nothing in the last week.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 21:53
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there itsallgood,

Wow, 14 pounds in the first two weeks, that's a wonderful start!

You are nowhere near stalled. In fact after an initial big loss such as yours it is very normal to have to wait a bit before the next bit of loss. Low carbing weight loss often occurs in fits and starts. It has to do with the cells hanging onto water after a loss. They "worry" that you might be going to starve them.

The good news is that all you have to do is carry on with your eating plan, and before too long youu'll see another downward trend.

Most of us can only expect to lose 10% of the weight we wish to lose during the first two weeks, followed by another 5 to 10% per month. So you are way ahead of the game.

Note, I haven't yet mentioned ketosis. That's because I think the ketostix are a total waste of time and money. It's fat loss that's important! And as Amy-Lynne said, you can excrete ketones after a fatty meal or if you are dehydrated. Drinking alcohol and starvation will also give you a positive reading.

HTH!

Rosebud