Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 16:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136.6/134.2/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Unhappy A little discouraged

I just started Atkins a week ago. I was previously doing Weight Watchers with quite a bit of success, losing an average of 1 pound per week. I just felt tlike my eating habits were not too great. I was eating lots of high carb foods. I read Dr. Atkins book on vacation and switch From Weight Watchers one day to Atkins the next.

I know some people don't agree with the daily weigh in but I think it's fine. After two days on Atkins I lost 1.8 pounds. I was thrilled! And then over the next three days it came back! Today I was down a little but total I'm only down .6 for almost an entire week. I know men are different, but my husband is down over 5 pounds! We both have similar goals, to lose between 15 and 20 pounds. The testing strips show I am in ketosis. I drink at least 96oz of water daily. Any thoughts?

Has anybody else gotten off to a slow start? I feel like this may not be for me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 17:07
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

You have to realize that because you don't have much to lose, that it will go slower for you then others.

Average weightloss for most people doing Atkins is 10% of the amount you wish to lose during induction (that would be 1.66lbs in the first two weeks for you) and then approx 5% of the remaining weight each month after.

Sounds like you are doing quite normal. Relax and remember that this is a way to eat to satisfaction and not be deprived, to be healthy and slowly get to goal.

You are doing great.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Have patience. You said you read the book....do you remember Dr. Atkins saying its not a diet.....its a way of life with many health benefits? Focus on how you feel after a few weeks. The weight will come off as a side effect. He promises!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:02

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Keep your chin up!

They sure said it well!

I just want to encourage you to stop focusing on the scale. I do weigh myself too, but just pretty much in fun. You have to remember that one gallon of water weighs 7# (a gallon of milk weighs 8#). You will drive yourself silly if you weigh each day and being so good at water drinking.

Many of us here are old WW drop-outs. I think I joined something like 3x's. Wow. $12 a week, plus weigh-ins, and 22 points to stay at. I sure lost weight, but did I ever gain it back and more.

Throw out the old thoughts of lowfat and fat free. It is a hard thing to realize that it takes fat to burn fat, although you don't have a lot to burn. But still you want to be healthy in this WOE (Way of eating). Eat the whole foods like Dr. Atkins recommended. Weigh yourself in a week. Look at your slimming face in the mirror, see how much more energy you have each new morning.

Check out the recipes on the reader's recipes and check out the Atkins support forum. You are gonna' be successful, and an inspiration to co-workers and family.
Not trying to give too much advice, just thinking of things that you may not have thought of.
Blessings, Annie-Pie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 18:06

BF:
Smile

Thank you for all of the nice words! After my first week of induction I managed to gain .4 pounds. I am going to keep at it. I know it is just a number, but seeing the scale go up is scary for me. When I think about how hard I worked on Weight Watchers to lose each pound, it's scary to see the numbers go up, even if I know it's just water retention.

It's funny how your mind works. I totally believe in the Atkins plan and I I really can see it being part of my life. In part of my mind though, I still think that it is bad to have too much fat. I'm afraid that if I keep trying, i'll keep gaining.

I'm going to keep at it though. I'm going to try to watch my portions and maybe count my calories for a little while just to make sure I'm in a decent range. Thank you, again. It really did help a lot.

Corrie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:36

BF:

Corrie:
You can't count calories, at least in the beginning, because the more fat you eat, the higher the calories. You count carbs. You can subtract fibre from carbs to get a net carb effect.

Portion sizes: You mean well, and you'll do yourself a favor to make sure you eat plenty of protein and fat, stopping when you're full.
It isn't about eating lots of chicken skin, which still grosses me out. It's about adding a pat of butter here and there, or grated cheese to your scrambled eggs, or a little whipping cream added to your coffee, or searing shrimp in lots of garlic butter. It is pretty easy to do as you go along and gain more confidence in the Atkins WOE.

Hugs to you this day!
Annie-Pie
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:37

BF:

PS> Corrie,
Go to www.fitday.com

You can enter what you eat and it will keep count for you, if you haven't already.

Annie
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 14:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello,

I agree with what everyone else said, and I'll just add that another reason you wouldn't have lost much weight is that you were already dieting. The drastic weight losses sometimes seen on induction come from people going directly from packing away a lot of food, to going cold turkey. You were already on a low-calorie diet. Your body may have even lowered your metabolism because of it. You're on the right track, you just have to be patient with yourself and let your body move at its speed.

If you're concerned that you're doing something wrong, you can post a day or two's menus and we can see if there's anything wrong.

Best of luck to both of you!

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 15:02.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 15:31

Stats: 214/194/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Angry also discouraged

I have been doing this hardcore for almost 5 weeks. I lost 7 pounds the first two weeks, then nothing. I am the first to admit that I don't drink the amount of water that I should. I am working on that. I also started working out three times a week. Shouldn't I see more progress than what I have? I am using the "sticks" and have never showed out of ketosis. It is always some shade of pink to purple. What am I doing wrong? I also went off birth control pills about this same time. Could that have anything to do with this? I kicked my scale this morning, I was so tired of trying so hard and seeing nothing. It still didn't move, and now I probably need to buy a new scale.
Any encouragement or advice would be appreciated
Marrilee
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 17:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Marrilee,
7 pounds is great! It is what I lost after 2 weeks on induction. I am now at 11 I think but it has taken another 2 weeks to get there. I keep telling myself to STOP standing on the scales! I know its hard but If you can focus on how you feel and take one day's eating goals at a time then weigh at the end of a week things might change. Remember when starting exercise it is NOT uncommon to gain weight. I usually gain at least 5 pounds because of building muscle. I KNOW 5 POUNDS......but with Atkins I have not gained I have just stayed the same for a week now. Don't get discouraged.
NOTHING EVER STAYS THE SAME! a 7 POUND LOSS IS A GREAT ACHIEVEMENT...BE PROUD OF YOURSELF!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 19:48

Stats: 214/194/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the encouragement. It still bothers me that I haven't been more sucessful.
Marrilee
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 01:13

BF:

It seems like water is a huge factor anytime you are losing weight. I would start there. And the birth control pills, I'm sure those could mess things up. I know you're not thrilled with 7 pounds but I think that is great! Hopefully you'll get that big "whoosh" everyone talks about. If not, 7 pounds is better than 0! :-)
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 03:21
Registered Member

Stats: 460/417/160 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:

7 pounds IS great.... think about it the way that I do....

You have lost the weight of nearly 1.5 bags of sugar...

You have lost the weight of a newborn baby...

Think that way.... its how I feel good about the weight I lose here and there... for me, considering how much I have to lose in all, just a couple or 3 pounds at a time may not seem like much, but it builds up.

Right now... I have lost the weight of a 2nd grader. That makes me feel good. Kinda like.... this other person that I have stuck to me is starting to peel away.

And Drink that water! That washes the weight away.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 04:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/212/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I am too discouraged about only losing 9 lbs in 7 weeks. The scale doesn't budge for me. (my hubby lost 31). It helps reading this thread, thanks a lot!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 05:38
Registered Member

Stats: 221/213/150 Female 5'8
BF:

I lost 3lbs from 07/01/03-07/16/03 then on the nite of the 16th I ate 2 very large bowls of edys ice cream and lost 3lbs more after I had be following atkins to the T I mean I was really sticking with it then I decide screw it and gave in ,, and lost weight heh thats wild.... maybe my met. was way down... anyways today Im switching to Scarsdale Medical Diet.. I have lost on that diet and it was not bad... alot like atkins diet but has fruit ... anyways I will keep you all informed on how it goes for me