Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 21:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297.5/272.5/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default I persuaded someone to start Atkins!!

Hello all!

Hope you all didn't miss me too much I have been around, but just reading the posts and getting my daily "LowCarber.org" visits in!

Anyways, I was over at my girlfriend's house the other day...and she and her roomate have been trying to do Weight Watchers for the past 2 months or so. I'm not hating on Weight Watchers, I'm sure something that nationally known probabbly works for millions of people who actually follow it to the book, but I just found it ironing that the ladies would come home from work saying things like "I have 5 points left...what should I have?" Well, my problem with WW is that you can have any foods you want (pop, pizza, snacks, etc...). That fact might actually be the reason that people try it. But...in a diet like that, where you can have whatever you want, those who do it are not restricted on what they can eat...just how many "points" they can have. We are restricted to what we can eat (to a certain extent)...which is why it works. Anyways, it's just ironing that they would come home from work and order Papa Johns, saying that this is their "flex points" day...wtf is that?

Moving on...I could see that WW was not working for them for that reason...they could have whatever they wanted. But I convinced my girlfriends' roomate to start Atkins!! She requested that I bring my copy of DANDR so she could read it...I happily did so! It makes me feel good when I can influence someone's choice like that that is so significant. I think that my girlfriend is not too far behind either!! I just told them the stories of what I can eat and still lose weight...and we seriously had like a 1.5 hour conversation about it. I felt like the resident Atkins pro! I was answering question after question...and after the conversation she decided to hop on board with me!!

Take care everyone, and good luck to you all!

Todd
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 21:47

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Cool Todd!!

I work with a woman who asked me about my progress and then tried Atkins. She's done very well. Have no idea how much she's lost, but she sure looks good!

Maybe you should buy them each their own copies for Christmas or something!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 07:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/141/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Preacher? :)

Do you find yourself at times feeling like the tele-evangelists preaching the "Atkins Way" to "see the light"?

It never fails when someone remarks about the weight I've lost (which is *really* nice!) and I tell them how I'm doing it, that they want to know more!

Amen!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 07:26

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyreless1
Do you find yourself at times feeling like the tele-evangelists preaching the "Atkins Way" to "see the light"?

It never fails when someone remarks about the weight I've lost (which is *really* nice!) and I tell them how I'm doing it, that they want to know more!

Amen!

Yes, I had once, been a Jehovah's Witness and I feel the need to go door to door and tell people that they are on the wrong path if they are not low carbing. It is funny that you should mention this but when you are doing something that works, then it must be true. If it is true then you feel obligated to tell others. It is amzing to see how many people think that you are crazy, yet, you still manage to win followers. Whazzup with that?

Black57

Last edited by black57 : Fri, Oct-24-03 at 07:28.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:11

Plan: atkins, somewhat
Stats: 200/169/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 52%

this is funny because just last night, my roommate told me she wanted to start WW because another one of our roommates had done it and lost weight. i told her (from experience) that WW doesnt work for everyone and it can just be a waste of money and she (NOT me) suggested that she go low carb with me so i spent like an hour explaining it all to her and shes going to give it two weeks to see a difference before she gives up and goes to WW. i didnt even have to try to "convert" her, she practically did it herself. i guess its because im leading by example since she can see that ive lost weight.