Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 21:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%
Question Which LC book should I buy?

Hello everyone,

I was gonna order The Complete Book Of Food Counts by Corinne T Netzer, but I saw her new book The Corinne T Netzer Carbohydrate Counter 2002.......

Which book should I order?

Can anyone pls tell me which is the best Zone book? Enter The Zone, A Week In The Zone........

Have u guys read any good LC books lately? I'd like to buy a few more LC books, any suggestions?

Any input would be much appreciated

Bebe

PS. I already have DANDR (both white & yellow covers) & PP. Have already put The Schwarzbein Principle on my list.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 22:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you want the complete breakdown, get the Complete Book of Food Counts.

How about Protein Power Lifeplan? And Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution. One of my faves is Potatoes Not Prozac. I find the brain chemistry aspect fascinating.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 22:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Which LC book should I buy?

I'll say ditto to what Karen said, and the one you have on your list (SP) and then add the following as secondary choices:

The new revised Atkins book 2001/2002, has a thourough revision. If you have an interest in low-carb research and studies, you will like it a lot. Almost every single statement/claim has a footnote number, and is indexed in the reference section to the exact study, publication, version, and page number!!! To my knowledge, no other low-carb book has done that, to make it bullet-proof. Other LC books may just give you a bibliography, some will make it based on chapters, but I haven't seen any of them link each statement to a specific page number on a reference.
Quote:
Originally posted by disneybebe
Can anyone pls tell me which is the best Zone book? Enter The Zone, A Week In The Zone........

I've browsed the Zone books, and chose "Enter the Zone". It's the one that has most of the theoretical aspects and details. The other ones I found were basically recipes and menus, but I'm not into menus or cookbooks. Check with Mila, as she's the Zone expert.

Quote:
Have u guys read any good LC books lately?

I've recently read the Montignac book "Eat Yourself Slim" (I've read it a few years ago in French), a very good book on food combining and glycemic index. Plus Udu's book "Fats that Heal, Fat that Kill".

On my list to read : The Ketigenic Diet by Lyle McDonald, Barry Grove's Eat fat get thin, and finally, Neanderthin.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 23:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Plus Udu's book "Fats that Heal, Fat that Kill".

My beef with Udo's book is that if your mind doesn't lean toward the technical aspects, it can be a real snorer. I just flipped to the chapters I could understand.

And, I could have been missing them, but there doesn't appear to be any references.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 23:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen

My beef with Udo's book is that if your mind doesn't lean toward the technical aspects, it can be a real snorer. I just flipped to the chapters I could understand.

And, I could have been missing them, but there doesn't appear to be any references.

It's a very technical book, no doubt about it.

He does have an extensive list of references, but they are not linked or indexed to his claims.

He is sadly misinformed regarding LC WOL. But I enjoyed his theories on fats,

Incidentally, the same goes for Montignac and the Zone, and their anti- low-carb drivel. But I can't blame them, they all have to denounce low-carb and Atkins, to market their books, even if they essentially prescribe the same thing more or less, low-carb!

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 23:35

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

I'm reading SP and am very excited about it and think it might be a great match for you, thinking about some of your past questions, bebe; PPLP is my next favorite. I've read excerpts of Cordain's Paleo book, which looks more complete than Neanderthin...though it also seems to have hints of that aggressive/defensive tone that I don't like much in Atkins' books, so maybe Neanderthin is the better choice. I think the evolutionary diet ideas are important to consider--Schwarzbein does address some of them, too. And I liked listening to the Schwarzbein on-line interview that was linked in the SP forum--fascinating stuff!

Speaking of the tone I don't like in Atkins, I just found a 25-cent copy of Stillman's original book. Geesh, did he have a bellicose attitude! Atkins is the voice of calm rationality in comparison. I'm glad I read it for historical interest, tho.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 03:26

BF:

Thanks Karen, Detective Wa'il & Razzle

Karen- I'm gonna get The Complete Book Of Food Counts, it seems like a "safer" choice.

Wa'il- I already have the 2001/2002 DANDR & I really really love it, too I think I've read it about 5 times already Wow, u can read an entire book in French? I'm impressed

Razzle- I've been told that SP is an excellent book (by Little Anne ). Really looking forward to reading SP.

Am gonna get:
The Schwarzbein Principle
The Complete Book Of Food Counts by Corinne T Netzer
Enter The Zone
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution
Potatoes Not Prozac
Eat Fat Get Thin
Neanderthin
PPLP? (I'm not sure about this one cos I don't really understand PP. The charts & the calculations for your protein-intake just do my head in )
Eat Yourself Slim

That's gonna last me til sometime around 2004, I read really slow

Thanks guys. I'm really grateful for all your input
Have a lovely day!

regards,
Bebe
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 05:07

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Bebe, would you allow me to post an observation about the Netzer food count book?

I bought it when I started, and found it pretty good. After about 3 months I switched exclusively to using the food counter here at the LC site for products that did not have nutritional labels. Why?

1. It depends on how you measure stuff. The Netzer book book usually uses half cup or 1 cup measures for comparison, and occassionally ounces. I started weighing everything in grams - 1 cup of cooked broccoli can weigh a different amount depending on how tightly you pack stuff in. It doesn't make much of a difference on the carb bargain veggies, but for higher carb splurges like carrots and apples it makes a difference. Also, since my personal food chart now has everything listed as the nutritional value for 100 grams of the food, it is really easy to see which foods are the better choices. It compares apples to apples so to speak.

2. The Netzer book has tons of stuff in it, but it is focused almost exclusively on American brands. Not useful if you don't live in the USA.

Conclusion...the Netzer book is a good resource, but if you want to save money, the LC counter here is the way to go.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 10:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

Another reason to NOT get Netzer's Carbohydrate Counter book is that it lists ONLY total carbs, not fiber.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 10:56

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Bebe

I do not know quite why you want to buy all those books. What is it that you are looking for? The plan comparisons available on this site give a good appreciation of what the various themes are.

You have more or less discarded PP which is the one I bought after Atkins and would recommend because it might "do your head in".

So the question for you should not be - which book to buy, and if in doubt buy them all but why do I want to buy another book?

You seem to be searching for something that you think is out there and might just be the magical answer. In truth you probably know already all the important stuff there is to know about low carb. This site and fitday are perfect carb counters and most stuff bought over the counter have nutrional labels these days.

If you really do want to go and buy them all then I suggest that you divide them into two piles and put each pile in a bag with handles and the use them to do your weight exercises with. This will do you the most good.

Trying to look after your health and your pocket.

R
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 14:35

BF:

Hi Angela & Doreen- Thanks, really appreciate your input

Hiya Rustpot- Thanks for answering to my thread I'm still gonna stick to Atkins. It's just that I would like to read more about LC. I stay at home all day (quit my job 2 yrs ago), way too much time on my hands. Need something to read to stop self from going braindead, LOL Rustpot, thanks for looking out for me, am genuinely touched

Thank u very much guys.

regards,
Bebe