Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 21:08

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 145/120/125
BF:
Progress: 125%
Default fat behind the hips

ok, i know that spot loss doesn't work ... but I would like to know what you can do to help reduce that fat right behind the hip bones on the butt. For the past month I have been working consistently on my bicepts and tricepts, all sort of crunches, squats and leg lifts. I am very happy with the results I see in my arms (actually getting rid of the sag!) and with my abs. My thighs are showing some progress ... but that area behind my hips on my butt is just awful .... I also have a very active life - walk a lot and live on the 8th floor and do the stairs 2 - 3 times a day but that's it for cardio.
thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 23:45

Plan: Curves for Women
Stats: 225/185/150
BF:
Progress: 53%

The squats are great for building the muscle in that area of your body but they won't do anything about getting rid of any excess fat. Climbing the stairs is also great for that, but you probably don't get your heart rate up enough to consider it a cardio activity. You need at least 20 minutes at a sustained target heart rate to burn fat. 70% of your maximum heartrate would probably be good since you are already active. Max rate: 220-age
You are right that you can't choose where the fat comes off at. But if you add 20-30 min, 3 times a week of cardio activity, you will burn off any excess fat that you have. Combined with low carbing, it shouldn't take long!
I hope this helps.
Jen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 08:15

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 145/120/125
BF:
Progress: 125%

Thank Jen - I figured that would be the answer - I just don't have the time to do 30 min of cardio a week - guess i will just have to try to fit it in somewhere.
Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 08:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Excessive Cardio

If you're doing 20-30 minutes of cardio three times a week I wouldnt increase it anymore. Continuing with the squats, crunches and general resistance training is what will burn the fat for you, sailfish. Resistance training builds muscle, active muscle is always looking for fuel - its fuel of choice is your body fat.

The fact that you have a little fat left to lose and that it is located in one area in particular is a sign that this is the last place you were destined to lose it. How we gain, store and then lose fat is genetically determined. Statistically women tend to lose first around the upper body, followed by the waist, the hips, thighs and butt are the last to go and tend to be the most stubborn.

Keep up the resistance work and be careful you don't over do the cardio - excessive aerobic work will eat into your muscle, slowing fat loss. Those last few lbs can be stubborn, but you'll begin to notice that less and less loss is required to notice changes.

Nat