Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:40
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/198/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry HOW does one lose weight.....on BP meds?

Hi all,

I have been on these boards for a long time, off and on. I stick with this WOL for a couple of months, loose about 4-5 pounds, then quit, madder then a wet hen, at myself.

Why? Am I mad at myself?

Because I feel as though I can't get off these dag-gone meds, both BP meds, diuretics, etc.

Doreen has been kind and offered help, and so have many others....but no matter how much I watch this diet, and follow it to a "tea" I don't loose alot.

I would be very interested in hearing from other's who are 40'ish, menopausal, HBP, acid reflux, etc..........and seeing how you are coping, and succeeding with this diet.

PLEASE?? I would so much appreciate thoughts........

I have tried to get off these darn diuretics, and I pour the weight on, even if I do it slowly. It hurts my feet, legs, face, stomach.....etc........

Any other possible solutions advice would be most appreciated. I want to be just like you guys!!!

Last edited by apena : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 08:45.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I understand you're being frustrated with a slow rate of loss, but yo-yoing will never get you your results.
With so many people being able to skip exactly these meds with this way of eating (heartburn, blood pressure & diabetes meds, among others) I'm sure it can at least improve your condition.
If the only reason you leave Atkins is because of the slow rate of loss, I would advise just thinking long term, sticking with it, and monitor your medications with an eye to reducing them as your body responds to this way of eating. Perhaps, since you don't have so very much weight to lose, your loss rate would be slower than many other people's, and the underlying conditions & meds might be a factor.

It seems to me your body is not so dysfunctional as to respond to carbs with great gains in weight, but it is certainly not happy with your present nutrition package when it gives you HBP and indigestion. A good low carb plan can heal the metabolism, but you might have to be patient.

If it is hard to stay on Atkins for other reasons, try a new plan. Many people report great results with CAD or a Paleolithic plan. Personally I'm (Magnum!) 44, lost about 40 pounds, my digestive upsets cleared up on Atkins, and my blood pressure is optimum. I wasn't taking meds, but this experience might suggest that low carbing WILL work for you, you simply have to let your body adjust to it.

Remember, pounds lost while eating good food you enjoy, no matter how slowly they come off, are pounds that you will NOT see again.

Last edited by adkpam : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 08:55.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/198/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thank you for the reply..

Hi adkpam,

What you state is certainly right on, looks as though we are about the same weight, and you have lost so much! HURRAH for you!

I do excercise quite a bit, strength training 6x weekly, running x7 days. Some of the weight is muscle, but heck, I want less weight even still.

I will hang in there, and committ to this WOL.

I hope that the meds get to come down, (I am also a Thyroid CA person so that med has to stay, but hopefully I will lose enough to get off some medication.

Thanks for being so inspiring!

~Andi~