Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 13:37

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 230/203/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Reassurance...

Hello fine folks...

This is my third week doing Atkins. Before Atkins, I was working out 2 times per week, doing intense circuit-training followed by heavy-lifting, and then followed by cardio (if I wasn't too tired.)

Starting my second week of Atkins (I felt much better after I corrected my newbie mistake during the first week of counting carbs but not deducting the fiber...therefore taking in less than 10 carbs per day), I began and continue to work out 5 days per week, as follows:

<ul>
<li><b>Monday</b>: Leg day (lower body) - heavy lifting routine focusing on legs and stomach, followed by cardio</li>
<li><b>Tuesday</b>: Cardio, early morning on an empty stomach, 20 mins.</li>
<li><b>Wednesday</b>: Arm day (upper body) - heavy lifting routine focusing on arms, back, chest and shoulders, followed by cardio</li>
<li><b>Thursday</b>: Cardio, early morning on an empty stomach, 20 mins.</li>
<li><b>Friday</b>: Circuit training (intense / whole body) followed by cardio</li>
<li><b>Sat/Sun</b>: Off</li>
</ul>

I am averaging 2100 calories per day, with a fat/carb/prot ratio of 73% / 5% / 23%. I am also taking a slew of supplements (just about everything Atkins offers, plus glutamine for muscle soreness, and garlic to ward off vampires...err...I mean for general health.)

In addition, I drink an Atkins protein shake within 45 mins. after every heavy weight-training session.

My question/concern: On the day after a heavy weight-training session, I find myself ravenous. I don't fall off the diet by over-indulging in carbs, but I find that I tend to take in 2400-2500 calories on those days. I wonder if I am taking in enough calories on an every-day basis?

Also, I don't really want to try CKD yet, because I want my insulin-receptors to heal first.

Any advice that anyone would like to offer is much appreciated.

Thanks,

-G.

Last edited by Gwyn : Tue, Aug-13-02 at 13:51.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 00:33

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%

Hi Gwyn~

Looks like a great routine. I'd venture to say that you could cut back on the cardio a bit and see what happens.

Sometimes I get that way too, with the food after lifting, but have found that if I drink a bit more water, I'l alright. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but after your muscles have been pushed, they tend to retain a bit of water.....

I hope this helps, and let me know how it goes...
Peace,
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 23:19

BF:
Cool Thanks...

Thanks Itsajoyful, for your response. And it couldn't have been more timely...just the other day I hit a wall...I was so tired, all of the time. So I cut down on some of the cardio, and I feel much better!

And, even though I don't want to go CKD just yet, I did find the <a href="http://www.users.voicenet.com/~petrizzi/fitness/ckdcalc.html">CKD Parameter Calculator</a> to be of help. After entering my specific information, it told me that I can average 2500 calories a day on "ketogenic" days. So, no more guilt!

Thanks again!

-G.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 12:14

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%

Gwyn-
I agree with itsjoyful that you're routine looks great and maybe you want to cut down on cardio a little. What do you do for cardio? How long is your cardio sessions after weight training and on cardio-only days?
If you like doing cardio after weights, maybe you don't have to be as intense as the cardio-only days. That's just my observation. I know I'm a lot hungrier on weight days than cardio days (and I don't do cardio after weights, I'm too tired). I just eat when I'm hungry and it all averages out at the end of the week. From your stats, it looks like you're doing great and getting results. I'm scared of the weekend carb-ups too, but it's a very interesting concept. Fill me in on how that works if you decide to do it.
Otherwise, I'd say keep doing what you're doing if you enjoy it. Don't be afraid to cut down on cardio. I was afraid at first, but I didn't gain weight because of it.

Last edited by Misty : Mon, Aug-19-02 at 12:20.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 17:22

BF:
Default Cardio...

My cardio on weight days was 20 mins of light intensity on an exercise bike. My cardio on cardio days is 20 minutes on an exercise bike, but with varying high-to-low intensity.

What I've done is to cut the cardio after weight training, because it makes me too tired. And, I moved my morning cardio from Tuesdays & Thursdays to Thursdays & <i>sometimes</i> Sundays.

For now, less is better. (I think I tried to escalate my workout schedule too quickly, and my body rebeled.)

Thanks Misty, for checking in!

-G.