Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 19:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/268/160
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Diet Dreams??

This may sound weird, but since I've been on induction (today is day 8)I've been dreaming about eating candy and snacks! I don't feel any cravings during the day. I won't go into everything I have dreamed about eating, but believe me, they were NOT on a LC eating plan! Has anyone else had this experience? Do carbs count when you're dreaming?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 19:45

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Nope...never had that experience. My dreams look more like meat sales with t-bones for a dollar a pound! Look on the bright side...you're getting the satisfaction of high carb goodies without all the carbs! LOL
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:17
Registered Member

Stats: 300/196/199
BF:
Progress: 103%

I am just starting my 3rd week, and I have had dreams that I have cheated, and woke up almost in tears!

-Chris
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I have been low-carbing almosr a year and I have had weird food dreams several times. Mine usually involve me being at a buffet, going right to the dessert table and eating nothing but sweets!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 23:50

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I had some dreams during Induction - most centered around me making a relatively minor cheat and then trying to undo it or make amends somehow. Some of them got pretty strange. But I haven't really had any diet related dreams for quite some time now.

Most of our dreams are just our mind sorting through images and concepts and organizing them and deciding what gets shoved into long term memory. The more time we spend thinking about things, the more effort the subconscious has to put in to make the decision - after all, if we spent hours upon hours dwelling on a subject it must be important, yet all of the other parameters that should be present for an important memory aren't.

Our dreams are basically built up from a crazy quilt of these ideas and concepts - all of which are being processed simultaneously deep in our subconscious - with the mind piecing them together and filling in blanks in whatever way makes them all mesh - and the result can be really weird.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 04:15

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
I've had a couple dreams about eating high carb foods, many times things that I never regularly ate before doing this WOE. Always in the dream, I realise what I have done and wonder why I did it.

Wbahn has really done a good job with his summation on the brain working through issues in dreams. (Read any Jung on symbols in dreams, wbahn? ) I have been doing an ongoing analysis with some of the deep-seated reasons why I ate myself to this weight, and I believe that my dreams are a reflection of that process.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 18:59

Stats: 238/198/160
BF:
Progress: 51%

I have had dreams that tasted SO GOOD I was scared I was going to wake up and find chocolate smeared all over my face!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 19:49

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default All the time.

I dream of being invited to eat high carby foods all the time, or being at a party where candy, cookies you name it are the only thing to eat! The FUNNY thing is, EVEN IN MY DREAMS I refuse the carby stuff!

Then I wake up all MAD and think - why can't I just cheat in my dreams?! That would be great, all the fun without all the insulin spiking...I think?

Wow, I tell my husband all the time - God, why didn't I just eat it?

Guess there's another "you know you are a hard core low carber when"!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 15:01

BF:
Default Wow!

I didn't realize that it was this widespread. Well, as lisa said, I'm getting the satisfaction without the carbs. I need to dream about better carb foods though. For some reason, I have recently had dreams about eating a bunch of Jolly Rancher candies. They aren't even my favorite! Besides, I would rather dream about chocolate and icecream!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 21:10

Stats: 170/125/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ok..figure this one out.. I'm on my 12th day of induction and I had an eating dream just last night. I have a lot of dreams involving theme parks, rollar coasters, stuff like that anyway. But this was really strange. I was riding one of those kiddie air plane rides (you know the ones with the little air planes that go around and around and dip every once in a while) and there in front of me was a nice big bowl of Lucky Charms in Milk and a spoon. So here I am, going around and around, eating a big bowl of Lucky Charms and not spilling a drop. I felt so guilty for eating that cereal in my dreams when I woke up this morning..

Carla
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 03:34

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

I was just thinking about this a few days ago and realised that i have not done it once since starting this WOE but I used to when I was doing WW. I'd wake up and be sooo relieved I hadnt really eaten all those cream doughnuts I would get really hungry in the middle of the night I think that was it and now I dont
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 08:36

BF:
Default last night

Maybe this is a breakthrough, but last night,my dream involved a reunion, at a restaurant that I couldn't identify, of all the people who worked in my office over the past 20 years.(Weird enough, since I've only been in the office for 1 1/2 years, and the department was established in 1990!)

Anyway,I remember seeing all these co-workers, and others I didn't know, sitting around laughing and having a good time. All I could think of while I'm sitting there is whether I could order a steak or not! I never ate anything, but steak was really a big issue!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 00:26
Registered Member

Plan: high protein/low carb
Stats: 160/160/130 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 0%

i had a dream a while ago that i ate a piece of cake... when i woke up i felt so guilty for the rest of the day. it was pretty vivid! LOL, nobody understood when i told them that. I even like to watch what i eat when i dream!