Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 09:31

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%
Default Is anyone else hungry after eating?

I ate an AWESOME breakfast...steak, two eggs, sauted veggies...and I'm still hungry. When I focus on the feelings in my stomach I'm aware that I'm not actually empty stomach hungry, but wanting to eat that certain something...but I'm not sure what it is. Probably high in carbs though. If I had another steak handy I'd eat it, but I'm actually at work right now! I drank some coffee with cream in it, thinking the fat would help, and it did a little bit. Maybe this is just cravings that I have to work through? Anyone else? Strategies? I'll hang in there!

Sue
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 09:42
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
When I focus on the feelings in my stomach I'm aware that I'm not actually empty stomach hungry, but wanting to eat that certain something...but I'm not sure what it is. Probably high in carbs though.

You answered your own question.

You have to learn to distinguish between physical hunger and psychological hunger.

If it's pyschological hunger then you have to determine what's driving it--bored, anxious, depressed, unhappy, stressed etc. You can't deal with those things by stuffing those feelings with food.

It it's a true physical hunger, then you need to eat.

If you are not physically hungry you shouldn't be eating in my opinion.

My feeling is that when we are able to distinguish between the physical and psychological aspects of WHY we eat, that puts us closer to success.

JMO.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 09:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:

How long have you been low carb? It takes a while for these cravings to go away, and what you said was the best thing to do- have something high fat like coffee with cream. What was in your sauteed veg? At the beginning I could not eat tomatoes or onions because they caused me cravings. I can eat them now with no problem, but I went without them about 2 months and added them in slowly. Also red bell peppers can cause me cravings, too. If this keeps happening to you, carefully examine everything you just had to eat for the possible culprit and avoid this for a while before you try again. Sometimes I eat the red peppers anyway and I have a scoop of whole milk ricotta after I eat them and it makes the cravings go away.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 09:49
Registered Member

Stats: 192/159/165 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue333
I ate an AWESOME breakfast...steak, two eggs, sauted veggies...and I'm still hungry. When I focus on the feelings in my stomach I'm aware that I'm not actually empty stomach hungry, but wanting to eat that certain something...but I'm not sure what it is. Probably high in carbs though. If I had another steak handy I'd eat it, but I'm actually at work right now! I drank some coffee with cream in it, thinking the fat would help, and it did a little bit. Maybe this is just cravings that I have to work through? Anyone else? Strategies? I'll hang in there!

Sue

That goes away in time. I had that same feeling the first 3 weeks. I just felt like I had to have something sweet to end the meal with. Now, though, when I stop eating, I feel full. And the best part is, it takes a lot less food to make me feel that way.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 12:55

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!

My sauteed vegetables included mushrooms, green and red bell peppers, green onions, and spinach. All together, maybe 1.5 c. I've wondered if my veggies were causing me to go too high in carbs. Mostly though I think these feelings of "hungry" (even though I'm not really hungry) are more from changing habits than anything else. It's as if my body is saying "thanks for the steak, eggs, and veggies! They were great! Now where's the TOAST?" I'll work through this. Thanks for the support and ideas!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 13:03

Plan: Keto
Stats: 230/199.1/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I get like this in the beginning, and even sometimes now. Today all day I've fought that urge to just keep on eating, stuff my face with carbs, etc. I'm not sur where it came from, but today has been rough. Overall though it does get better. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 14:16

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue333
My sauteed vegetables included mushrooms, green and red bell peppers, green onions, and spinach. All together, maybe 1.5 c. I've wondered if my veggies were causing me to go too high in carbs. Mostly though I think these feelings of "hungry" (even though I'm not really hungry) are more from changing habits than anything else. It's as if my body is saying "thanks for the steak, eggs, and veggies! They were great! Now where's the TOAST?" I'll work through this. Thanks for the support and ideas!

You could try cutting back on the vegetables and see if that helps. Maybe just mushrooms and green onions next time, or a total of half a cup.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 14:35

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Make sure you drink enough. A large glas of water, maybe flavoured with a twist of lemon and a mug of coffee/tea/ decaff needs to accompany that breakfast. The liquid will help to fil you up.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: Slowly Becoming Zero Carb
Stats: 352/323/180 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 17%

When I eat any veggies I get hungrier much much sooner. So I gave them up.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 18:17

Stats: 187/144/148 Female 5'7 1/2
BF:
Progress: 110%

Ditto everything cnmLisa said. Ok, probably gonna take some heat for this -- but, could you try chewing a good sf gum for awhile to satisfy the need to eat? By your stats, you're doing great! Keep going, Alma