Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 00:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%
Default can you have friut on the LC diet?

I have been doing the atkins diet for about 1 1/2 months and i am craving fruit. can i have fruit like a small apple or some pineapple or some thinmg i need my fruit!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 00:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hi there! Do you happen to have a copy of Dr. A's carb counter book? I find that really, really handy when trying to choose fruits for post-Induction. If you visit http://www.atkins.com you'll find the lists of allowed foods and when to introduce them.

Having said that, neither apples nor pineapples are a good choice on Atkins until possibly maintenance. Both are fairly high glycemic (they absorb into the blood system too rapidly), and apples have virtually no vitamins. I like to eat things like strawberries, raspberries and blackberries because they have a lot more bang for the buck. If you're wanting citrus, tangerines are a good choice, at about 7 net carbs each.

One thing you may want to watch, too, is how these affect your blood sugar when you eat them. Different people react differently to various foods--that's why Dr. Atkins recommends introducing foods back into your diet one at a time.

Last edited by LilaCotton : Wed, Nov-12-03 at 00:56.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 03:24

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Cherries have really low glycemic index. Other stone fruits are pretty low too.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 07:45

Stats: 260/245/150 Female 5'8"
BF:A Little LESS!
Progress: 14%

Hi petcrazed,
Be careful of adding fruits back into your diet.
And, according to the book, berries are the fruits that should be added first, and only in moderation.
Always best to check the book, so you don't get off track, and set off cravings for other sweet things.
Keep up the good work
Lesle
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 07:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

...and if it's a psychological thing, like "going without fruit is unhealthy", remember this: if you're eating tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, avocados, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, etc... you are eating fruit. All of those "vegetables" are fruit. They might not taste sweet, but botanically, they ARE fruit have similar nutrition profiles. By skipping sweet fruit, there's absolutely nothing missing from your diet - except the sugar.

Stick with berries only. Not only are they low in sugar, but loaded with antioxidants.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 08:00
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have not introduced fruit back into my diet... I am positive it will be a trigger for me. When I reach goal and am in maintenance I will add in the occassional serving of berries for desserts and such. Thankfully I never was a huge fruit eater, I MUCH prefer veggies.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 08:03

Stats: 264/246/175 Female 65"
BF:??/47%/35%
Progress: 20%

I also really miss my fruit ..........I love it (much more than veggies) but haven't introduced them even though I'm adding a few more carbs now that I'm into week 5. I want to lose at least 20 lbs before I add them.
I do have the sugar free jello and that gives me the "fruity" taste so I'm not feeling terribly deprived.
Hang in there!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 09:21

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Berries are the way to go! And I also eat s/f jello for a taste of something fruity and sweet.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 14:38
Registered Member

Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

If you can find fruit-scented things that are non-edible, so much the better!

I miss my fruit soooooo much, but I have found that my sense of smell has improved so much on this WOE that there's a little trick you can do... use fruit-scented lotion, candles, incense, potpourri, right before you eat a regular meal... the little whiff of yummy-smelling stuff will whet your appetite, but you know you can't eat the stuff if it is not food! The smell of fruit is ALMOST as good as the taste, and once you are full of yummy meat, cheese, or veggies, you might just feel like you have indulged! And it's always good to spoil yourself a occasionally with non-edible goodies.

Other good ideas.... fruit-flavored lip-gloss, lip balm, and mouthwash!

Last edited by watersidhe : Wed, Nov-12-03 at 14:42.