Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 16:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 141/138/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy confused...just need to lose 10 pounds

Hi, everyone. Would you recommend this or any other low carb diet for me - who would just like to lose ten pounds?

It crept on me over the holidays.

I have done Atkins before and wondering should i start with induction, or begin with just a very sensible low-carb diet: fruit, veggies, whole-grains etc.

The thought of being so restrictive does not appeal to me, and I am afraid with only ten pounds to lose, will i lose enough on induction to make the "good" foods (fruit, etc) i would restrict worthwhile.

I know it's only for two weeks, but just not looking forward to it.

--Cynthia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/205/220 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 116%

talk to a doctor possibly.

if it's 10 pounds typically exercise and reducing your sugar drinks can help remove it. (remember that a can of coke has 185 cals and 45g of carbs).

if you are comparing carbs you would need 20g of fat to beat that.

Take a look at your breakfast or your double latte at star bucks and see if you can just cut something out instead of 100% converting your eating lifestyle.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 17:09

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Cynthia!

With only 10 pounds to lose, it really isn't necessary for you to do Induction. Dr. Atkins stated that those with 20 or less pounds to lose could start with the ongoing weight loss (OWL) phase and proceed from there. With only 10 pounds to lose, you could start at 30-40 grams per day and probably do just fine. You can adjust up from there if you seem to be losing quickly.
Things to include at that level would be nuts, seeds, berries, lots of veggies (skip the high glycemic ones for now like winter squashes and such) and adequate amounts of protein as well as healthy fats. I would wait to re-introduce whole grains until you are within a few pounds of your goal.
Low carb isn't just for people who have a lot of weight to lose; it's healthy eating at any size. The thing is; you need to determine what your level for maintainence is and stick with it to avoid regaining what you've lost.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 13:39
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Get the book Atkins fo rLife. It is geared to those closer to goal and starts you out at 60g of carbs a day. Those carbs still have to come from veggies, fruits, nuts, and some whole grains though while avoiding sugars.