Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 21:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/235/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress:
Default lc help!

I have been doing the Atkins diet since January 12. I go for a few days and then I have very bad cravings and can't help but eat something I shouldn't. I am looking for help, to stop or curb these cravings.I am not able to get into ketosis beacuse of this and it is very frustrating. I was very successful at this diet 4 years ago and i don't fully understnad the difference now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 22:11

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

Hi there! I had a similar problem last year when I tried atkins for the first time. All the meat and cheese and oily food was incredibly unappealing, and I felt desperate for a plain piece of toast or crackers. I was only able to stand it for a couple of weeks, I still lost a bit of weight, but I think it was at least partly due to my eating so little because I was so nauseous. This time it has been MUCH better, I feel pretty well all the time, and I think it is because I am stocking the fridge with "blander" atkins appropriate products. Instead of bacon, I have turkey coldcuts, and more vegetables like steamed broccoli. Also, the longer I go, the more comfortable I am eating fattier foods. Hope this is a little helpful, good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 22:32

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

I started about the same time you did. I had really bad cravings first week or so..I had to go through a really bad sugar withdrawal ( I mean My husband ran hehe)

I just had to stick it out and know that after all the sugar was gone the cravings would go too! everytime I had a craving I would go get some kind of meat even if I didn't want or feel like it, I would also drink alot of water. I tried to keep myself busy and stay out of the kitchen. Infact I spent alot of time searching the recipes for desserts (which I never made but they sure sounded good!!)
thats really how I found this place, by searching foods i could eat
I also had a hard time with breakfast untill I started with the protien shakes.
so my advice is take it one day at a time, know if you resist that temptation you are one day away from stopping the cravings!!
keep busy, talk to all the people here they know tons!!
and know that those cravings will go away!! and you will be alot happier and healthier!!

also know that if you fall into a temptation you will have to deal with withdrawals again. this saves me everytime!! I just think about that first couple days and temptation is gone hehe.
good luck !!
If you need to talk feel free to email me!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 23:59
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

Hi. I also started about the same time you did, i found day 5 to be the worst day. the cravings were horrid. i tried to find suitable foods that would make the craving go away, but i just needed something sweet. i ended up eating some LC ice cream, and it did the trick for me. it got me over the hump, and i haven't cheated since. the cravings do go away, hang in there.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 11:06
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Each time you give into those cravings it will get worse. The best thing is to try and do a clean induction. Have tons of veggies, meats, eggs, and fats, but nothing sweet. It will be murder, but if you cna hang in there the 2 weeks the cravings will go away.

You can also try L-Glutamine. You can get it in powder form from some health food stores or exercise suppliment stores. It is suposed to really help with the sweet cravings.

Get rid of the junk food in your house, do a full clean out. If the rest of the family isn't LC, promise them they can reget some of the junk food after your cravings are gone. Stock up on LC snacks, so you have something to grab easily. You may find the rest of the family grabbing them as well instead of bothering to cook something high carb, which is good for thier health too. Have boiled eggs, string cheese, and other LC things on hand. Also make up a plate of cooked snacks to keep in the fridge. Have deviled eggs, bacon wrapped scallops. Cream cheese filled celery and other finger foods. What would help me on days I was extreamly hungry was to have broccoli and cauliflower mix with cheese. The protien, fiber, and fat mix was just what I needed to feel full when nothing else worked.