Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 17:13

Plan: no plan yet
Stats: 160/155/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie in MA

Hi All. I just found this site- accidently of course My neighbour has been Atkining for about a 6 months & has lost alot of weight. This peaked my curiousity. I never been a fan of fad diets & believe all in moderation is the key to staying healthy.

I've hypothroidism since age 12 & find I have to be conscious of everything I put into my body. Lately I have been reading alot on losing weight safely & am considering giving the Atkins a go. I am very active & enjoy high aerobic/ weight training 3-4 times a week but can't seem to lose any weight at all. I eat pretty good for the most part & I feel pretty healthy overall but would like my clothes to fit a bit better. Any comments/ suggestions/ inspirational words of wisdom for me?

Thanks for reading...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/148/130 Female 5.00
BF:31% by the bmi
Progress: 60%

welcome and hope you get on the lo carb train. it is a great way to loose weight without starving. you can eat lots of food you love and you will feel better too. since i dont eat the bread and such i do not feel bloated and stuffed after eating. i better about myself and the way i look.

it is hard sometimes but it is worth it. it can be an adjustment but this is the only "diet" where you can eat, eat, eat. it really is not a diet but a way of life. you can add in some of the foods back in tht you love (carbs) latter after you loose the desired weight. you just have to eat them in moderation. like you said that is the best way to loose and be healthy. this way of life teaches you to do that.

welcome and happy low carbing!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 15:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Hi Mellinmasss,
Glad to have you here.
Aimie is right, hop on board the Low carbing life and really live happy. It is a great way of eating, and I know you will love it and wonder why you did not do it years ago. I wish someone had told me about LCing. I learned about it when Dr. Atkins passed away. While reading about him I learned about his books and how healthy LCing is. High Carbs and Low Carbs do not work well together. It just makes us fat.

Last edited by Fat : Fri, Jul-18-03 at 15:17.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 15:50

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm 50 pages into my first Atkins book so I'm still educating myself on the basics. I still can't wrap my mind around how People can cut out pasta/bread etc. Especially when its very quick, easy & convient to make sandwiches for lunch during the workweek. I guess I have alot to learn
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 16:05

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Melinmasss!

I am new to this forum also, just started today too. I can relate to you, 4 weeks ago when I started low carbing I also wondered how I was going to do without bread and pasta. I love sourdough frenchbread and pasta/rice/tortillas were always a staple in our house. The first week of low carb experience was a bit difficult for sure, but now after 4 weeks I am creating new favorite recipes and enjoying my meals/snacks immensly. I am never hungry! I feel liberated.

Keep reading, and Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 16:12

BF:
Progress:

Again, Thanks for all the encouragement. It is much appreciated. And good luck to you as well
Cheers!