Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 16:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/157/135 Female 5'2"
BF:40%
Progress: 33%
Question Different shift work question

I work straight nights Monday night til Friday morning (4 - 10 hr shifts, 9p.m. - 7 a.m.) I sleep through the day (usually 9-9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.) and come weekends I turn around and sleep normal hours. Fridays I normally don't sleep as long so I can still go to bed Friday night.

I know Atkins says to not go more than 6 waking hours without a meal. On Mondays I get up with the kids and send them to school and then I usually lay down in the afternoon for a nap with my little one. Then I go to work Monday night. My breaks at work are 12:00 a.m. 2:30 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. For my meals this would mean I have breakfast/lunch Mon morning, supper Monday night at ~ 5 p.m. and then nothing til 12:00. and then lunch at work at 2:30. To go no more than 6 hours I would have to eat sooner than midnight and after my 2:30 lunch break. Would this be too many meals? This would be 5-6 meals/day. Then for the rest of the week I'd be back to 3 meals a day and then Friday I would maybe have 1-2 meals depending on how late I am up.

Now that I have everyone totally baffled what would be the best way to work around Mondays and possibly Fridays.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 17:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

I work 3rd shift also, just eat when you are hungry, no need to worry about to many meals, try to have a snack of some kind between your supper and 1st lunch break, 5-6 smaller meals is actually better, less chance of spiking your blood sugar levels. I take a couple pieces of bacon (cold), chop some string cheese into cubes, a few cherry tomatos and 20 almonds almost every nite as a snack, it works well for me. The nite shift is hard enough the way it is, so don't deprive yourself of food too. Hope that helped somewhat...........
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/180/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 44%

My schedule is 7pm-7am. Lately I have been eating a small snack at about midnight and my lunch at 3 am.

Then I dont eat when i get home. Dont want to lay down on my food. I'm not usually that hungry when I get home.

When I wake up thats when I eat. I usually eat 2 meals at home and 2 at work. But I never eat before I go to sleep.