Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 15:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question New to plan

I just started LC(ing) I have the book and I am currently reading it but I wanted to now from the people who actually used this diet, if it truly works...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 17:36

Stats: 155/133/125
BF:
Progress: 73%

Yes it does work . I have lost just under 20 pounds on it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 17:41

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Thumbs up

Laurie

Hello and welcome, You will really find this site useful if you follow up and give lo carb a serious go.

Yes, of course it works but it is not magic, there is no trick and its is not a fad diet. In fact it is not a diet at all. It is more like changing your mindset about what is healthy. Atkins is a good place to start but as you read more and get to understand your own metabolism you will find your own way. But to start I do recommend that you "go by the book". There is a wealth of success stories behind it.

If you look at the statistics under my grinning features they are truthfull and tell their own story. As you find you way around this site many refer to their low carbohydrate diet as a "way of eating" (WOE) or "way of life" (WOL)

If it is going to work you have to think like that. It is not short term, true weight loss will be gradual with many stalls and plateaus on the way.

If you need any help. There are loads of people here to give informed, intelligent advice. Best of all, nobody is trying to sell you anything. This is totally free.

Who said Christmas only comes once a year!

Last edited by rustpot : Fri, Feb-15-02 at 09:07.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 10:30

Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

If there is time to change your mind about starting it, there is a step you'll want to have done before you begin. You need to get used to drinking lots of water. Increased water consumption is a must for the diet.

Get used to the taste of water, and increase your consumption of water to the appropriate level before trying the diet. This will help you separate the effects of the water increase from the effects of the induction of the diet.

Add water to your diet for at least 3 weeks, but ideally for about 2 months. Eat exactly the foods in the same quantities as you normally eat, but add the water. You'll likely lose about 1 pound a month doing just this (I lost 4 pounds in 5 months). Add multivitamins to your diet as well.

The amount of water you need to drink daily if you are not overly active is about a half ounce of water per pound of normal or ideal body weight for your height, and then add .33 ounces for every pound overweight. If you're very active, then up it to about .66 ounces per pound of normal weight and .5 ounces per pound overweight.

In the first couple weeks, you'll be in the bathroom quite often, but your bladder will settle down and you will urinate large quantites less often.

It was hard for me to adjust from 2 cups of water to 13 cups a day, but it was necessary.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 17:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/208/185
BF:
Progress: 62%

my husband and I have been on it for about 5 1/2 weeks and have both lost 20 lbs each. it works. do not cheat!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/175/165
BF:
Progress: 82%

Since around mid Jan my husband and I have both lost quite a bit. He has dropped a pant size (almost 2) and I have gone from an 18+ to a 14!!!

You'll luv it!!
Hossdoc
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 22:25

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Definitely Works...

I have been on Atkins since October 11th and I now weigh 33 lbs less, with NO Exercise. My bf's mom lost 40 lbs in 4 months (she exercised occasionally). My best friend lost 30lbs in one summer on Lc. Oh, and non have them have gained any of it back in over 2 years.

Give it a try and see what you think.

Good Luck,
Erin
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 22:42

Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

Yep. Me too. The only exercise I've done is the recreational type, and I've been way interested in that since starting the diet in Aug. 2001. I do think stretching is helpful, tough. In my case it was a must because I had alot of tight muscles. I've heard others have had their docs give them muscle relaxants, but not for me.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 22:51
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 255.5/244.7/148
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default About the tight muscles

I have been having a lot of difficulty w/sore tight muscles...will finish my two weeks induction tomorrow..interesting to learn that some people need musle relaxers..could it be a build-up of the junk your body is getting rid of? Very painful but glad to hear it is common. Thanx
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 09:50
Registered Member

Stats: 250/201/205 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 109%

tight muscles... certainly happened to me on induction. I was suffering at the gym. Paralyzed with pain. I think that muscle relaxers are a pretty extreme option though. If you are supplementing with vitamins, it should help. I started taking potassium, calcium and magnesium plus a multi and I feel great now. Actually, I have been suffering less with my old nemesis, back pain, since I started taking supplements.