Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 19:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/160/120
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question Pudding made with tofu

Hi, does anyone have a recipe for pudding made with tofu? Preferably a french vanilla type. Thanks for any info!

Rachel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 23:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yep!

Blend soft or sliken tofu with almond or macadamia butter, pure vanilla extract, sweetener and melted butter. Then chill. It's surprisingly delicious!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 10:04

BF:
Default almond or macadamia butter...

Hi Karen, thanks for responding. I have never seen almond butter or any other kind of nut butter in my store. Do I need to go to a health food store? Is there maybe any way to make it without the nut butter, or is best to use it? I hate to have to ask so many questions, but I have just discovered tofu, and I find that it is so versatile, I want to try everything I can with it! I have never had a food that has such a open palatte. Thanks again for all your answers.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 23:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Do I need to go to a health food store? Is there maybe any way to make it without the nut butter, or is best to use it?

Most natural foods stores should carry a large assortment of nut butters. The nut butter will help thicken the pudding and give it a great flavour.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 10:02

BF:

Thanks Karen. I went yesterday to our health food store...the Sunshine Cafe. They had almond, cashew, and macadamia nut butter. I picked up the macadamia, as almond seems to make me stall! I'm not sure why, and cashews are really high in carbs. i also found an array of other things I could get ater on during my maintence...soy chips and things. I was impressed. I can't wait to try some pudding!

Rachel
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 16:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Rachel,

Macedamia butter is so yummy! but you might not find it satisfactory for thickening your tofu pudding, simply because it's so high fat, and not a lot of carbs or protein. But, the result will taste good, no doubt.

This isn't exactly a pudding, but I posted a recipe for Tofu-Egg Custard a while ago. You bake it, then when it's chilled, it's kinda cheesecake-like in texture. I made it recently, and served while still warm with cold chopped berries with lime jce as a topping. It was very pleasant .. I'll make it again (I used minimal sweetener in the custard, just a few drops of stevia extract) ... the minimally sweet creamy custard was a really nice foil or background for the fruit. I'm thinking sliced fresh peaches, when they're in season, would be awesome.

Here's the original recipe .. Tofu-Egg Custard.

Enjoy!!

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 19:03

BF:
Default Beat ya to it...LOL

Hi Doreen. I have already made your custard recipe, and I love it. I eat them for breakfast twice a week...LOL. I love custard, and tofu is such a great to lower the carbs without giving up good taste! I tasted the macadamia butter, boy was it good! I see what you mean about it not thickening, as it is pretty runny in the jar, but I am not picky about texture. As long as is somewhat resembles a "pudding" texture I'll be happy. I may try adding a smidge of gelatin if I just have to have it, and perhaps that will do the trick. I am really enjoying tofu, and I would have never tried it before! What a stuck up eater I was...LOL. Thanks again Doreen, and if you have any other tofu recipes, please send them my way!

Rachel