Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate addicts diet
Stats: 159/151/138
BF:
Progress: 38%
Post couple O' things on CAD/CALP

I bought the second Heller book this weekend and am disapointed with the duplicate info and lack of new info in the book. Hint: if you have the first Heller book, the second one is not neccesary. However, the last half of the book is full of recipes. If you need to know any hints from the second book, ask me I 'll tell you.

Okay, now for my CAD question. I have been CADing for 3 and 1/2 weeks now and have lost 8 pounds. I am really strict during the day about drinking nothing but water and eating low carbs during the day. But, at night I do not neccesarily get a balance in my proportions. I have been splurging with my RM dessert. I still eat in 60 min though. Last weekend 3/9 and 3/10, I splurged on my evening mealtimes. Why am I still losing weight? I lost a pound over the weekend. Can I assume that this way of eating is okay for me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 11:15

Plan: CALP
Stats: 182/170/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Brenda,

I started CALP on 3/1 and I have lost 12 lbs!!! I do the same thing you do, basically. I eat bacon in the morning (no carbs, get the no sugar added kind), salad or celery with cheese or maybe a hamburger with no ketchup and no bun for lunch (minimal carbs in dressing) and then balanced RM--but no dessert. My RM carb is pasta side or potato, maybe a roll. If I need a fix, I get low carb chocolate and nibble--1 bar lasts me a week. No diet sodas for me, except at RM.

You might want to cut back the dessert, see if that works--or make it your carb, i.e the third of your RM which is carb is dessert--no pasta, potato, etc. And remember, you can't eat all of your dessert if you haven't eaten all of your protein and CRV. I eat a bite of protein, bite of carb, bite of CRV to make sure I maintain balance--that is harder to do with dessert, but worth a try! Continued success, you are still 8 lbs. lighter!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 11:31
Registered Member

BF:
Cool THANKS

Linda,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. However, I am happy that I have lost 8 pnds. Also, it seems that over-doing my RM carbs is not stopping my weight loss. I don't care if I lose more than 1-2 pounds in a week. I am still losing my goal per week even while I splurge. My question is, can I assume that I am taking in the right proportions for my body as long as I continue to lose? I like dessert and it does not seem to overly affect my losing.

#4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 11:59

BF:

I hope you didn't think that I was dissing your 8 lbs. I certainly am not--8 lbs. is a great loss!!

If it works for you go for it--however, if you are eating dessert in addition to a carb at your RM, you may be slowing down the weight loss. If that is OK with you, I say go ahead and eat! I wish I could.

I also have a vice--Diet Dr. Pepper with a bit of bourbon in the evening.

You may be what the Hellers call "mildly carb addicted." If you don't have the CALP book, it has a quiz in it to determine if you are mild, moderate or severe. If you are mild, you may be able to eat a little more carb and still lose.

Now you have me dreaming of ice cream!!!

Also the Hellers have dessert recipes in the book, so they must not hate them as a matter of course!

Do what works for you and keep losing!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 12:43
Registered Member

BF:
Post Actually Linda

When I started the carb addict diet on 2/15/02 I was a moderate carb addict. It seems that my carb addiction level dropped recently. I have no cravings for this stuff during the day at all. You may expierience this later too! THanks for the words of encouragement.

PS is the diet chocolate really good? I have hormone issues and need my chocolate at night! What do you suggest?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 12:47

BF:

I found a really good chocolate bar at CVS. It is called Ross, they have several varieties, but the straight chocolate one has only 1 gm of carb for the whole bar!!! It tastes like semi-sweet--really good. Not like those awful low carb bars (ick!) They cost about $1.50 a bar, but definitely worth it. They also have coconut, almond, orange, mint and dark. I have only tried the plain. Two thumbs up!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 15:18

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Post CAD

Sounds like you are following CAD the way it was originally written. I did that and it worked fine for me. Apparently they re-wrote the guidlines about balancing the RM because people weren't losing weight eating what they wanted for an hour.

Keep up the good work!
-animaldoc
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 15:35
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs down a flaw in my theory

Thanks, for the encouragement again. However, I have found that eating more high carbs on my RM has made me more hungry during the day. Maybe sticking to the new method is best. Linda, you were right. I might have still lost weight even though I was fudging on my RM, but I have had to deal with those awful beginner sugar cravings all over again today.

Uuugh I want to eat sweets and feel like dinner has to include every sweet I love in order to satisfy me.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 10:38

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Lucky

I guess I am lucky. I haven't craved anything for months.

Sometimes I think I want a sweet and I tell myself I can have it with my RM (dinner). By the time I have all my healthy stuff at dinner I find that I don't want a sweet or that I am satisfied and don't need to eat anything else. Then I tell myself if I still want it tomorrow I will have it with my RM... LOL.

Do ya'll ever notice how much more intense some foods/sweets taste if you have stayed away from them for a long time? I had a piece of pineapple the other day and it was so syrupy-sweet that I about spit it out. eeewww. patooie. LOL. Funny, cause in the past I loved pineapple.

Wishing ya'll the best.
Libby
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/186/170
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default calp and cad

How does CALP differ from CAD? What were the changes? I only have the CAD book.

Rain
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 12:31
Registered Member

BF:
Post Not much difference

The CALP book calls the supplementations options for life and talks more about giving up certain things such as MSG, or sugar substitutes as a lifelong option to help you lose weight. Basically, the supplementation chapter from the first book was turned in to their options for life.

Consider giving up MSG, Caffiene, or adding Chromium, magnesium etc. as an option for life to help maintain your health.

That is it.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 13:26

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Post Wait a minute!

A larger difference between CAD and CALP is that CALP gives guidelines for balancing your RM that CAD left out. CALP says that the RM should start with a LC salad and then be 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs and 1/3 LC veggie. CAD just said a "balanced" RM and they changed it in CALP when some people didn't lose weight because they did a 1 hour pig-out.

I lost weight following the original CAD book, I didn't have trouble eating fairly balanced meals.

-animaldoc
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/159/135
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Check the Hidden Carb Counter on the Ross Chocolate

The Ross Supreme chocolate bars are great! You mentioned they had only a few carbs in them. You might want to check out the Hidden Carb Counter on this site. It will show you the amount should be around 11 carbs per bar.

Marsha