Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 19:44

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 225/215/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Day One - Atkins

Today was my first day on the Dr Atkins diet.
Low Carb world is new to me.

I felt crummy all day long, is that normal?
I was not hungry only during meal times, I just felt crummy and sluggish all day long.

Will it get better?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 20:12
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It's normal to feel "crummy" during induction. Your body's adjusting to the switch between burning carbs to burning fat for energy. Drink lots of water, and hang in there, it WILL be better in a few days, or even less!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 21:30

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hang in there! It will get better soon.
Isiar
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 21:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/137/130 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 91%

I felt crappy for at least one week. Kinda sick to my stomach and did't know if I should eat or not..when I ate a little ,I felt a little better. It will pass within a week or so, just try to "bear with it" for a short time.47 pounds in 3 months...I have to say it works!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 00:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/206/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Were you on induction for the whole three months? Strict induction?

Starting over, had it wrong, I have been eating low carb bread 3g per slice. Think I'm not in ketosis?? 4 weeks and only 11lbs. I think I'll re-start induction and be strict about it.

Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 03:50

Stats: 227/227/200 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Soft and Squishy
Progress: 0%

Day Two Atkins for me. Thank you for being brave enough to source out a sight and post. Having been a lifelong WW I do miss the meetings with other people in the same boat. I think this forum is a good substitute.

And thanks to the others who responded. Your support means loads.

Going caffeine-free, low carb and sugar free - I have to say that I felt like horrible junkie last night: sweating, "headache-from-hell" and then cold. I just keep trying to think of all those toxins going down the loo!

38 years of eating rubbish - I am looking forward to feeling good and in control of the part of my life that has been so out of control....

Thanks everyone!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 04:05

Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

I felt like death for the first 7-10 days Katy... I felt sick, my head was killing me, I felt like I was coming down with flu... oh boy was I scared I'd done the wrong thing going on the diet!

Stick with it and, as others have said, keep drinking the water, and keep eating within the rules. It does get better... much better! I've all but kissed five years of crippling ME goodbye in under a month, not to mention the weight coming off and the energy coming back on...

Those first few days of misery are, as you know, just the carbohydrate junkie in you going in to withdrawal. It's horrible, but with wonderful results... I actually feel physically sick if you stand me near cakes or bread for too long now! I never thought that day would happen!

As for WW... to be honest, if carbohydrates are the heroine of this diet, to me WW are the fanatical religious cult who lure you in and get you trapped till you're utterly dependent on the "family" they provide.

Brings a "run, don't walk..." gut reaction from me every time I hear about them.

You're at the hardest bit... congratulate yourself for having the willpower to even get to day two! And keep focusing on the days when all the withdrawal symptoms have gone and you have nothing but the benefits to light your way.

Last edited by UrbanGypsy : Tue, Sep-02-03 at 04:07.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 06:30

Stats: 227/227/200 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Soft and Squishy
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm an American living in Dublin. I know all the cool Atkins "supplies" are available over in the UK and US. I just about fell to my knees and thanked God when I found Splenda in the little market at lunch time.

Due to my withdrawl yuckiness I had no strength to sort out my lunch this a.m. Threw some salad from last night and chicken in my M&S bag and peeled out of the house. Thought I could go to the market at lunch and pick up some olives, etc.

Walking in the supermarket I felt like newly sober (which I guess I kinda am..) walking around a liquor store tryin not to get "accidently" drunk with all the stuff hanging out at ya..

I have stopped shaking, the headache has disapated a bit (thank you paracetemol!!) and I am drinking water like crazy..

Thanks so much again!

K

Last edited by Katyspice : Tue, Sep-02-03 at 06:32.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 08:00

Stats: 210/137/130 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Melindalou

I was only on induction for the 2 weeks and the rest is history! I do walk 2 miles every morning also to go along with the diet..so that also helps...Have a great day everyone
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 08:52

Stats: 237.6/229/135 Female 5'6''
BF:41/40/22
Progress: 8%
Default Hi Katy

I am an American living in the Netherlands. Welcome to Atkins and the forum...even though I am a "newbie" too. I have already met a couple of expats in Germany and one in Belgium. Giddyup! We aren't all alone. Although, there's less her ein Continental Europe I think than there on the "islands". lol We cannot get ANY Low Carb products here....so don't feel like the Lone Ranger Tonto. You can do ok without I think. You just have to check the recipe boards....here and on www.atkins.com .You can get recipes for about everything. I think these people here on this forum are so incredibly creative to manage to make what they want in a way that is truly healthy and low carb. Stick with it. The next few days may not be much fun, but once you are through it, you won't even miss bread and pasta. REALLY. I won;t say you won;t ever have another craving...I think everyone slips some extra carbs in there unknowingly sometimes....you'll know...you'll get that familiar feeling that you gotta have_____________ fill in the blank. You have a friend in the Netherlands. Good Luck!!!

25 posts and you can begin Private Messaging. So, go ahead and start adding people to your buddy list that you might want to chat with soon.

Charlotte
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 10:37

Stats: 178/157/145 Female 67 in.
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hang in there! I also felt lousy for the first week but it got much better after that.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 00:56

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 200/186/120 Female 169cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMorgan
Today was my first day on the Dr Atkins diet.
Low Carb world is new to me.

I felt crummy all day long, is that normal?
I was not hungry only during meal times, I just felt crummy and sluggish all day long.

Will it get better?

We seem to have the same stats... perhaps we could support each other through this new era of 'body becoming'.... send me an email if you wish to... i live at the bottom of the world in Tasmania... am 34yrs...an artist and have 3 children....perhaps you will contact me soon kathrynace1~yahoo.com.au
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 16:43

Stats: 209/190/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

I felt lousy the first few days too. I could have eaten a pillow. After about 4 or 5 days, it got much much better.