Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 12:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Calling Seasoned Losers - did you have longterm stalls too?

Since I've joined this wonderful group, I can't help but to get antsy at my own lack of weight loss. I have many reasons for not losing but I wonder....are there many of you out there that lost the first say, 15 lbs and then stalled for months and months until it started coming off again?
I want to hear some success stories to cheer us up and give us a reason for Lcing
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:12

Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I am not 'seasoned' but I lost almost 8 pounds in my first 2 weeks, gained back a few and then lost and gained the same 3-5 pounds over a period of 3 weeks. That 3 week stall just about made me insane! Anyway, I just started being less hungry OR probably just having less desire to stuff my face and I reduced my food intake moderately. Still kept my carbs around the same 15-20 but lowered my calories a bit and I started moving again 2 days ago. I got to 154 yesterday and I was still there today, so I am feeling encouraged again.

I will now expect stalls and just try to be more patient. Keep it up. Maybe try changing things a bit. Try 3 days of really strict induction again, or increase your fat for 3 days or reduce your calories for 3 days. Make a concious effort and plan your meals to do these things, see if something gets you moving again. I bet it will happen soon!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:20

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks Jennifer

Your right...I gotta get back on STRICT induction for a couple days (maybe as long as 5 days). No more pseudo-sweets and I need to decrease my overall food consumption (I sure can *nosh* when I'm bored).
I should really appreciate how far I've come too. I have not cheated since I started and for me, that is INCREDIBLE!!! I've lost 13 lbs instead of gaining it (that says a lot on this bod).

I get so impatient when I think that only 3 years ago I weighed 165.
I must stay FOCUSED
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:21
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

When I went through Induction my first time (1997), I lost 20 lbs right away! I had 75 to lose back then so I did a couple more weeks, and lost about 10. Then I went to OWL, and stalled for almost 6 months, and finally lost another 10 after that. At the time, I decided to stay at Maintenance due to a stressful divorce, and finally decided to restart in March this year after regaining 10 pounds (from high carbing over 6 months). Of course, this time I lost 2 pounds on Induction and stalled for about 3 weeks before I found out I was pregnant. So my last 40 pounds will have to wait - but hang in there. Stalls will happen, and I actually think that's a good thing because your body meters out losing the weight and you're more likely to keep it off.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:54

Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

I started Last September and have experienced my fair share of plateaus and stalls. I have always stuck with the plan throughout. I allowed myself one planned cheat (a Cheeseburger in Paradise with the bun on vacation in Maui). Besides that I have never once cheated. I don't consider myself to have any particularly developed willpower, just look at my starting weight as evidence. I have stayed on plan and stuck with the exercise and kept taking my vitamins.

I get down everyonce in a while as the loss has slowed so much but I can see the progress even if the scale and tape measure don't always show the changes.

I recently lost 5 pounds in one week for no apparent reason after not having lost over for two months. Weird!!

I think back to how slowly things have moved in the past three months but then I realize that all the little starts and stops have added up to a big weight loss and a happier healthier me!

Just as a side note, I am a corporate trainer so every morning I have to stop and buy doughnuts or bagels or pastries for my classes. For ten months I have not once eaten one myself or even licked my fingers!! THAT I am very proud of!

Keep in mind too, I had a lot to lose so YMMV.

Good luck and stick with it!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 14:38
Registered Member

Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Sch
Since I've joined this wonderful group, I can't help but to get antsy at my own lack of weight loss. I have many reasons for not losing but I wonder....are there many of you out there that lost the first say, 15 lbs and then stalled for months and months until it started coming off again?
I want to hear some success stories to cheer us up and give us a reason for Lcing

I have been scale stalled (belt has gotten looser though) for about 5 weeks and I have tried EVERYTHING to get unstalled - changing eating habits, working out more, eliminating dairy, nuts, sugar alcohols, etc. and nothing worked. So I said "screw it" and stopped stressing over it. I enjoy the diet and I am not gaining any weight (I'm still doing induction). I'll eventually start losing again but in the meantime, I'm just going to enjoy my lettuce wrapped cheeseburger!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 14:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I've been on strict induction since March, with the exception of one cheat and a few strawberries. I "stalled" for 6 weeks, but that's natural, just something the body does. Did you go to the tips and stalls section of the forum? It really helps.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 17:47
Registered Member

Plan: Restarted Atkins 07/27/04
Stats: 267/244/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operaghost
I recently lost 5 pounds in one week for no apparent reason after not having lost over for two months. Weird!!!!

This I heard is called the "whoosh" effect. Congratulations! I'm waiting for one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operaghost
Just as a side note, I am a corporate trainer so every morning I have to stop and buy doughnuts or bagels or pastries for my classes. For ten months I have not once eaten one myself or even licked my fingers!! THAT I am very proud of!

This is really impressive! I'm proud of you, too.

Jeanne.. I'm in the boat with you. We'll keep each other encouraged over the days to come. Let's hope for one of those "whooshs" that Operaghost gets.