Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 21:25

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 328/237.4/182 Female 67 inches
BF:50+%/34%/20%
Progress: 62%
Smile I'm new!

Hi Everybody,

My name is Kathy and I just joined up about 30 minutes ago. I weigh 296, have lost 19 pounds, and want to reach 151 pounds....one day. I almost cried when I read "Nancy's" entries, especially her first one.

I have four kids, work part time out of my home, and have reached a point in my life where I'm tired of hating how I look, often feeling so ashambed to be seen in public, I'd stay home and hide if I could.
My daughter is 13 years old, beautiful, happy and smart. She came home from school recently very upset and at first wouldn't tell me what was wrong. I pushed as I could tell she was VERY upset and she burst into tears, then told me how a kid in her class had said to her, "Your mother is a tub of lard." It was almost like I left my body. I swear, I went into complete shock. This was from a kid who I know and liked very much and thought was a good friend of my daughters, and so on. I felt hurt beyound words and shame and embarrassed. I almost wanted to be dead. I hated myself for weeks for having had my daughter have to face that kind of 'moment' at school because of me, a fat pig for a mother.

It lead to some interesting discussions with my daughter and I actually called that child's mother (who is no light weight herself) and told her what her child had said about me. She said I was wrong, of course, her child would never be that cruel.

Sorry, I don't mean to ramble on and on but I guess it really hurt and I couldn;t even talk about it too much with anyone else in my life. I know my family, friends and husband love me, but I knew they might on somelevel think, "Well, just lose the damn weight!' if I tried to share how much it really bothered me what that kid sid. I;m the only 'fat' one in my family so they all think it's just about me making bad food choices, or eating too much, and so on.

But this time I'm going to do it. I almost can't believe how easy it is with the Atkin's diet. I'm so afraid that something will change to make it stop working! But I'm tired of being afraid of not fitting into a chair when someone invites me over for a coffee, or being gawked at like a freak. And seeing that loo9k on my daughter's face....THAT'S gonna haunt me for a while!
Sorry for going on so long-thanks so much for 'listening'
Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 22:52
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Welcome. You have come to the right place for consideration from those who truly understand and can support you every step of the way. This is not a magic pill. However, it is the most magic pill I have ever found to get my weight under control.
You have to do the ground work yourself...the rest comes naturally. Eat your program food, drink the water, take the supplements, make certain to read the entire book more than once, and exercise as best you can. You will do fine.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 01:38

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Kathy

So glad that you have found us and joined this forum.

Sorry to read about what has motivated you to get started, kids can be cruel. However, you will look back on that as a defining moment.

Congratulations on your success and yes it will continue to work provided you eat enough and drink enough water. I've been living this way of life for 2 years now and as a slow loser am pleased that the pounds keep leaving. You can see my photos in the link below my signature.

Continued success to you.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 04:20

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

Welcome! I understand! a couple years ago a 3 year old my mom babysat for started throwing a fit when I was drinking chocolate milk... he said "you are too fat to drink that" a 3 year old! I am actually more dumbfounded since I have an almost 4 year old now and there's no way he would even think to say something like that..I am sure he doesnt know what 'fat' means. Anyway, as you can tell I never forogt it and it still bothers me immensely.

I also do NOT want to be the fat mom anymore. I am a stay at home mom of 2 kids and they deserve a better me.

We are all doing this together! make sure you check out the sticky thread so you can promise yourself 1 year on TDC! and start a journal..its the best feature of the site!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 06:54

Dear MisterE,

Thanks for taking the time to offer your support. I think I'll take your suggestion and read the book again.
Thanks,
Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 06:58

Hi Little Anne,

Thanks for your support. Kida can be cruel, but we all know who they must learn it from- the adults around them. I don't think kids are born hating fat people, someone taeches them to despise fat people- like so many of the grownups around them. Kids scream when they see their first spider if the grownups or others around them act as if it's a reason to be upset. My kids (who loved Charlotte's Web) think spiders are cool and would never dream of killing one (we live in Ontario- no 'bad' spiders around, thank God!) and are always shocked when another kid will suddenly crush a spider for no reason. I think children alos learn to have a negative reaction to fat people, because of the reaction they see in others. They're really just mirrors, reflecting the good, or bad, attitudes around them.
Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 07:05

Dear Wenzday,

I'm also a mom, I have four kids. One of the things I dread most about my weight is the fear of another child saying someone that will embarrass me. One time I was in my son's grade 1 class and another child looked at me and said, "Whoy! Are you ever FAT!" He didn't mean it in a mean way, which is maybe why it bothered me even more. he was just making a (rather honest and direct) factual statement.

I am so looking forward to the day when I can volunteer for one of my kids' calss trips and not have to obsess the night before whether 1) I'll be able to make it down the school bus isle, without wacking other kids with my butt, 2) Not have to sit alone on the seat, since I'm so huge, 3) Not be the biggest (as always) person around. I'm not looking for perfection, I just want to look like all of the other moms.
Thanks for listening.
Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 09:36
Busty McChacha

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/246.6/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Wow its amazing what kinds of memories these posts can trigger. At the beginning of this year I saw my cousin's kid for the first time in maybe a year. She is the grand old age of seven. When I walked through the door she opened her eyes and mouth wide and said.."You got big". I was so taken aback all I could do was stand there. I must say it got me motivated. Out of the mouths of babes, although at the time I felt like picking that lil crumb snatcher up and doing her some damage. lol.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 09:45
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi Kathy. Welcome, you have come to the right place. You will find positive attitudes, nice smiles, and encouraging words here.

I too have 4 kids ranging in age from 15 to 5. I understand the pressure the family puts on you. Following this WOE has been the easiest part compared to aggravation of my kids always wanting junk food and snacks. Luckily our kids are old enough to have them cook their own meals. I can have and prepare only what I want to eat without having to slave over a hot stove preparing foods I will never eat.

Yes, I am one of those DHs that share household duties!