Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 17:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default New Uses for Glucose

Just caught this snippet elsewhere...

Quote:
Microsoft Crawls Into Your Skin
By Alyce Lomax (TMF Lomax)

You can't argue that Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) hasn't been a good contender for ubiquity. Today, it went one step closer, and maybe too close. The tech giant has secured the patent for technology that will allow human skin to conduct power and transmit data.

This story is just begging for lots of jokes and jabs. Microsoft's well-known monopolistic tendencies probably don't make this sound too appealing, when it comes to plugging yourself into devices using Microsoft technology. What about those Windows security holes -- you might wonder exactly what type of viruses you'd be exposed to. Here's a possible bumper sticker: Keep your code off our bodies! Then, of course, there's the old "Resistance is futile" joke, referring to Star Trek's Borg.

OK, back to the serious stuff. It's no surprise that Microsoft would want to expand its product line to wearable technology, and it's pretty well known that the company has been wanting to go there. The idea of using the body as a conductor is also not a new one.

In today's patent filing, Microsoft pointed to devices that are already "wearable" -- PDAs, cell phones, pagers, and so forth. Taking these into consideration, of course, there's a future for such portable technology that incorporates greater and less intrusive ease of use. That may not sound so futuristic at all, but then the filing goes on to say that a patch of our own skin could be used as a type of keyboard. That sounds, perhaps, creepier.

However, as much as it might dismay you to contemplate Microsoft getting so intimate, technology is creeping ever closer to getting, well, ever creepier. Take, for example, scientific experimentation into tiny fuel cells that could convert your body's glucose (sugar) into power. According to The New York Times, such sugar-powered fuel cells have been inserted into and powered by grapes. It also gave an example of where the technology could go: plugged into a soldier who could eat an Oreo cookie in order to power up his radio.

Microsoft has taken some heat for not always being at the vanguard of technological movements. Look at its latent interest in search or criticism that it fails to stay ahead of hackers and virus writers. So, maybe we need to give the giant some credit for getting teeth again, trying to move a little bit more swiftly into a cutting-edge market.

So, brace yourself. Soon, you may have more "power" than you ever thought possible.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 18:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Well I won't make a very good glucose battery, they best come up with a ketones based one for me.

Brobin
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 10:40
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

On the other hand, once all the ketones are stripped off a fat, the remainder is glycerine, which can be converted into glucose.

It would be easier, less invasive, more field-reliable, and more flexible to make a battery that ran off of the ketones in urine. Urine is sterile and a ready-made electrolyte.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 12:25
Experimenter

BF:

I'd hate to see the wiring for that!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 12:32
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'd hate to see the wiring for that!

Compared to some of the things our soldiers have to see, I'm thinking that wouldn't be so bad.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 19:30
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hmmm I can see it now... plug yourself into a slimming device, and eat yourself silly. So long as you are plugged in, all the sugar entering your blood is burned off by it... kinda like doing exercise while sitting on your butt. I would love one of those ...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 19:50
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Hmmm I can see it now... plug yourself into a slimming device, and eat yourself silly. So long as you are plugged in, all the sugar entering your blood is burned off by it... kinda like doing exercise while sitting on your butt. I would love one of those ...

I think Ive seen things like that on TV lol

And if all else fails there is always that Ab belt and chi machine lmao.

Gods if you all knew how much money I spent on pointless gadgets and pills and creams, tapes and everything else to make you lose weight I could have had enough money to invest in a company to make that machine.

I think even if that machine ever comes out now I would refuse to buy it just as a matter of principle. I refuse to shell out another cent on any type of quick fix ever again. Ive learned my lesson.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 08:09

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

It would make more sense to use such a device to power up pacemakers or insulin pumps than a radio.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 09:44
Experimenter

BF:

Recharge your cell phone by spitting on it!