Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 19:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/163/150
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Is there room here for a guy?

I got your link from a fellow lowcarber on a yahoo board. I guess I will give you the “skinny” on me. I am a police office in a small town in Colorado. I started Atkins after I met a few people who were having success on the diet. I started in early October I weight 220 and wore size 42 pants. This even larger on my 5’3” frame. (no short jokes please) Anyway as of last weeks weigh in I am 164 pounds and sport size 34 inch pants. I decided that it was time to get in at least as good of shape as I was in the Marine Corps so I started looking around. I also started running and going to the gym. I was shocked at how much lose in strength I have. I noticed that I also don’t recover quickly from the workouts. Anyway, I was told Body for Life was very good but hard to do. Translation to me said “It works good and is challenging”. So I got the book in the library. I read it and was sold on the workouts, it is different and I would end up with some more free time. When I read the diet part I was shocked. It basically said everything I have done is wrong. In my head I was thinking “I ate like this in the military and I gained weight, I eat lowcarb now and I loose weight”. I decided since I was looking to drop an additional 15 pounds I was not willing to change my diet and risk loosing (gaining) everything I worked so hard for. I did post a few questions about that on a BFL board and now everyone acts like an invader has come in and they are circling the wagons. I saw posts of people complaining about not loosing weight so I think I might be more right than them. Anyway, I you don’t mind, I would like to be a part of your community. I find when I decide to do something I can follow though and therefore am a good test subject. My plan would be to Follow the Atkins diet to the letter. I will also follow BFL’s workout procedure to the letter. I will try hard to keep my carbs between 50 and 60 / day this will be hard because I usually stay under 20. I also got some L-Glutamine in hopes that it will stop the muscle fatigue. So if you are all game I will donate myself to this experiment and tell you what happened.

James

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 19:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi James,

Welcome aboard There better be room for guys, since I started it!! I'm two guys trying to be one.

Looks like you've done a great job so far. BFL should help you in the last remaining lbs. We have a few members doing BFL while low-carbing, and they sold me on the idea. Check our BFL forum which we just started, there's a good summary by Nat, on how to do BFL with LC.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 20:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Hi James!

So glad you made it over here. I was the one that gave you the link to this wonderful support forum. There is so much support and advice here, its astonishing! Your going to love it here!

Welcome and have fun here!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 20:56

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Welcome James!!

I'm VERY happy to see you here! I'd been thinking that I wished there were more menfolk about!

I'm about to start BFL on Monday along with my LC buddy Ruth. We decided to buddy up to do this! Maybe consider starting a Journal just so that you will have a place that we can all come visit you!

I'm glad you are here and thanks to Chrissy for recruiting you!

Marlaine
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 08:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the club, James. Reading your post about BFL and the nutrion is something I can relate to - for most BFLers LC is a dirty word and they are quite militant about it. I am looking forward to having some stats and a few before and after photos to post for them once I am done - along with the LC revelation

Getting your carbs up to 50/60g shouldnt be too difficult - it seems daunting at first, but it can be quite manageable - if you're eating 6 meals a day having 10g a meal isnt that much (some vegetables, nuts, whole milk plain yoghurt, berries - and be sure if you're supplementing with a protein powder that it has a few carbs in it) I have kept a rather detailed food log in my Journal under the bootcamp section of the forum with the daily breakdown of fat/protein/carbs since starting - you're welcome to take a peak (start date was Nov 11th)

Looking forward to reading more!
Nat