Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 13:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up Fish oil compound may help ward off diabetes, and improve insulin sensitivity

By E. J. Mundell

NEW ORLEANS, Apr 22 (Reuters Health) - An omega-3 fatty acid found in fish oil appears to improve insulin function in overweight individuals who are vulnerable to type 2 diabetes, researchers report.

Three months of daily supplementation with docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) produced a "clinically significant" improvement in insulin sensitivity in overweight study participants, according to Dr. Yvonne Denkins, a nutrition researcher at the Pennington Biomedical Research Institute, Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. She presented the findings here Saturday at the annual Experimental Biology 2002 conference.

More than 9 out of 10 diabetics have the type 2 form of the disease, where the body's gradual failure to respond to insulin can cause blood sugar levels to rise to dangerous levels.

Previous population studies have suggested that fish oil might help protect against diabetes. "There were epidemiological studies on the Greenland Eskimos, a population of people that eat mainly whale blubber," Denkins pointed out. "These are people that are overweight, that should be diabetic and have heart disease, but they do not. The scientists that studied them thought it was probably because of what they eat, and they found that it was the omega-3s."

In their study, Denkins and colleagues had 12 overweight men and women, aged 40 to 70, consume 1.8 grams of DHA at breakfast for 12 weeks. While none of the study participants had full-blown diabetes, they all suffered from insulin resistance--a pre-diabetic condition in which the body fails to efficiently respond to insulin.

Using blood tests taken at the start and end of the study, the researchers assessed changes in each person's insulin resistance.

"We did see a change in insulin sensitivity after 12 weeks of DHA supplementation," Denkins told Reuters Health. A full 70% of the study participants showed an improvement in insulin-related function, she said, "and in 50% it was a clinically significant change."

Denkins stressed that the small size of the study sample means that the results remain preliminary, and diabetics should never replace their medications with any dietary supplement, including fish oil. Individuals considering upping their intake of fish oil should also consult their doctor beforehand, especially if they are being treated for any cardiovascular condition, she added. This is because DHA has a slight blood thinning effect.

Nutrition experts currently recommend a daily intake of 0.6 grams of omega-3 fatty acids, preferably from fish. According to Denkins, that works out to about two servings of cold-water fish--species like halibut, herring, mackerel or salmon--per week.

http://health.yahoo.com/search/heal...=s&p=id%3A20636
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 12:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default how many fish oil capsules would that

equate to? I take 6 1000mg salmon oil capsules per day?

Is that enough?

thanks

Deb
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 16:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

hi Deb,

In general, the fish oil capsules, whether salmon or a blend (salmon, sardine, mackerel, anchovy) ... are 1000mg .. and each will contain a standardized amount of DHA:EPA fatty acids. Specifically, 180:120 .. you should see this on the label. That means each 1000mg capsule of the fish oil contains 180mg DHA and 120mg EPA.

The above study was done with 1.8g (1800mg) of DHA .. which is 10 capsules. The dose was taken at breakfast. That's a lot!!! Also make note of the fact that DHA and EPA can have blood-thinning effects, so do NOT try this out without talking to your doctor first.

Alternatively, you could eat a LOT more fatty cold-water fish

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 06:19

Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Thanks Doreen,

I use the capsules because i hate everything about the real thing. I can't bear the smell, sight or taste of anything fish(except Tuna).

I'll keep in mind the blood-thinning effects though.

thanks for your fund of knowledge.

Deb
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 09:04

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

From the article posted by Doreen:

"Previous population studies have suggested that fish oil might help protect against diabetes. "There were epidemiological studies on the Greenland Eskimos, a population of people that eat mainly whale blubber," Denkins pointed out. "These are people that are overweight, that should be diabetic and have heart disease, but they do not. The scientists that studied them thought it was probably because of what they eat, and they found that it was the omega-3s."

The DHA info was interesting, but she is obviously confused about the cause of type 2 diabetes!!! How could she miss the fact that the Greenland Eskimos eat almost no carbs? When are these medical types going to get it? Sheesh!!!

I'll stop ranting now :

Karla
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: Somers
Stats: 330/268.5/160
BF:
Progress: 36%

True, the Inuit don't eat a lot of carbs, but I still think the research on omega-3 is sound.

They say we should eat "two servings of cold-water fish--species like halibut, herring, mackerel or salmon--per week." I'd be interested in expanding the list. That would include tuna wouldn't it? And trout? And I would guess any fish caught in Canada?