Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 00:03
Registered Member

Plan: Calories Don't Count (The New Nutrition Principle) by Herman Taller, MD
Stats: 178/176.5/135
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default this is really weird...

I'm having all kinds of cravings - chocolate, ice-cream, and feel hungry but I don't want to eat. In fact, I feel kinda sick to my stomach. When I consider what I might eat, my stomach just turns over. I cooked some beef short ribs (kinda) and they made me almost throw up from the smell.

I'm having trouble because the program I'm on calls for a lot of meat - beef, chicken, fish, and seafood. I don't like beef - the smell is gross, I can't afford fish or seafood.
I can only eat chicken once in awhile because it gets sickening before long too. I think it's the stuff they feed the chickens, and the genetic engineering they're doing. It's changing the way they taste. Meat just doesn't taste good anymore.

And I'm supposed to eat lots of it. It's going to make me sick and that's what will cause my fat loss more than anything else, I'm sure.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 04:16

Plan: Bodyopus
Stats: 220/214/???
BF:
Progress:
Cool

Hey,
I've just started on this board myself. Hope I can help...

Cravings. The hardest part of LCing is that carbs are EVERYWHERE. Low fat diets are relatively easy now that everything has a "low-fat" alternative, cutting out protein (like we'd want to ) is basically cutting out meat, and maybe a little dairy. But we get stuck with the hard one. Most of the diets I've read, wheather from books or personal web sites, recommend a cheat day. These help us keep our heads when the Satan Sugars come calling... We just have to plan ours a bit more carefully. For example: If we walk into Tim Hortons for a coffee, we can't really say, " mmmm, donut.... today is going to be my cheat day". If we try this, the last couple days of fat we've eaten will be stored as fat instead of used as energy, the sugar in the donut will cause an insulin spike, and everything in the donut will be stored as fat. I think it will also knock us out of ketosis. It would be better to say that every Sunday (or every other sunday, or whatever...) is a cheat day, so on Fri. or Sat. start a low fat, medium (COMPLEX) carb, and high protein diet. That way there will be less fat in your system when the fun begins. mmmm beer, er donuts....oops.

As for not liking the smell of beef, What kind are you cooking? I just bought some pre-made burgers from costco, and the smell of them cooking makes my stomach churn, and I'm a proud Carnivore. I think it's the fat content. Lean ground beef smells so much different.

C.J.'s Staple Food=TUNA
C.J.'s TUNA Recipe:
1 can white or light tuna (drain out the water)
enough mayo to hold the tuna together
grated cheese
pepper
Mash it all together and eat.
I like to eat it with Cucumber. It's crunchy.

Lots more cheap tuna recipies in the Recipe section

As for chicken, maybe try free range chickens. They cost a bit more, but there is a definite difference.

I'm assuming the plan your on (sorry, not familiar with it) is calling for high protein, not just high meat. Have you thought about supplementing your diet with whey protein shakes? There is a lot of selection and variety now. Some actually taste...ok.

I hope this helps, and I hope I haven't mislead you in anyway. If I have I'm sure someone will correct me and set us both straight.

Good Luck,
C.J.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 05:46
Registered Member

BF:
Default THANKS, CJ

I appreciate your feedback and information.

The meat was beef shortribs - lean. I've been having this problem with the smell of beef for several years now.

It just smells awful. I think it's because my body doesn't process it well. I find it very difficult to digest. The smaller the animal, the easier it is to digest, it seems.

I don't even like talking about this because I am (was) almost vegetarian. I don't like the mass killing of animals in slaughterhouses. It bothers me even to see the poor little fish in the tanks of supermarkets. They know they're doomed. They know a lot more than we think they do.

Anyway, I'm having all kinds of problems with this new way of eating. Yes, it's a high-protein program as well as high meat. He also says to use margarine for cooking and I refuse to eat margarine.

I'm eating butter instead which is what I have always used.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 06:57

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Butter is fine! Great even...margarine is full of damaged fats!

First of all...maybe a different program would work better for you in terms of your preferences...the Schwarzbein Principle can be a vegetarian diet...there is even a vegetarian low-carb cookbook.

I really believe that you should listen to your body...don't eat anything that is going to bother you physically or emotionally...its just not worth the stress!

Good luck!

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 15:51
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks, Lisa

yes, I agree with you. I think our bodies 'know', are wiser than our minds are and should be listened to with care and attention.

I have learned to have great trust in what my body tells me. Glad we're on the same wave length.

I will definitely take a look at the Schwarzbein program. Know nothing about it so thanks for the direction.

Sure is great to be able to interact and get so much support with this project (fat loss).