Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 10:35
Registered Member

Plan: not sure
Stats: 230/195/170
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default HELP me WITH ME WITH MY DIET.

Hi,

I read the atkins book and his principle of high fat/high protein low carb seems logical. Now he also said in his book the most efficient proven fat burning diet was a High Fat diet 90% Fat / 9% Protein , 1 % carb. 1000 Calories Limit to speed up fat burning.

He said that diet is the undisputed fat burner even faster than starvation/eating nothing or fasting.

they did a research for 10 days
1 group ate nothing for 10 days(basically were fasting)
the other group ate 90% fat,1% carbs 9% protein , 1000 calories total limit per day.

by the 10th day, the group fasting(starving) lost 22 pounds of which 7 pounds of fat and 14 of muscles.

Howwever the group that was eating 90% fat 1000 calories limit, lost 15 pounds of which 14.5 pounds was pure fat, 0.5 pounds of muscle.

This is similar to FAT FAST but 10 times better.
So i decided to try this out.

I started on monday this week this diet. using fitday to calculate the stuff.

Break Fast :

1 Large Egg Omelette cooked into 2 Table Spoon of Butter

Snack :
3 Celery Stalk with 1 table spoon of mayonaise

Lunch :

1 Large Egg Omelette cooked into 2 table spoon of butter

Dinner :

1 Hard Boiled Egg with 2 table spoon of Mayonaise.

TOTAL CALORIES 1001
90% FAT
9% PROTEIN
1% CARBS

atkin said this diet is #1 worldwide to burn pure fat , not lose any muscle tissue.

I take these supplements :

After my first breakfast : i take 3 Centrum Extra Strenght multi vitamin and minerals , 3 Essential oil Capsules , 6 Psyllium husk capsule , 1 Vitamin E 400iu , 2 L-Glutamine Capsules and 1 Glutamine capsule at Night.

I wanna know if glutamine will count in the total consumption of protein in the diet? Or what?

what other supplements do i need?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Mikeroger: Hello! If I were you I would take only 1 Centrum multi vitamin per day. You can take too many vitamins - not all of them are water-soluble. You might consider adding a calcium supplement and Omega-3 fish oil. I use Atkin's Dieter's Advantage and have good luck with that. Have you tried www.fitday.com? That would help you evaluate your diet and the need for supplements. I don't use it regularly - but occasionally I try it for a few days so I can see where I need to supplement or make changes. Good Luck - you are doing terrific. Cindi
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 11:02
Registered Member

BF:

yes but 1 centrum is not enough in my opinion, we are getting 0 vitamins from our foods, we need those supplement higher dosages.

also i am getting omega3-6-9, combo in 1 pill, 3 times daily i take in all in the morning after my first breakfast.

and i did measure my ketones after my breakfast.

i drank tonz of water after my 2 table spoon butter/ 1 egg breakfast and drank like 6 glasses of water after it and 30min-1 hour later when i pissed , the ketone strips said medium/high levels of ketones. that proves that u should test ur ketones right after a high fat meal after drinking water after that meal too ull get accurate results.

im not sure if i should get chromium supplement, alpha lipoic acid, co enzym q10. anyone think i should?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 11:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I know that the fast quest to fat loss is really appealing but it can can lead you into danger. Treat low-carbing as a quick fix and it will come back to bite you.

It seems that you have lost fat successfully, so I'm wondering about the drastic measures.

In your profile it indicates that you haven't yet read DANDR. Start there to give you the overview of to low-carb the Atkins way.

Quote:
atkin said this diet is #1 worldwide to burn pure fat , not lose any muscle tissue.

Atkins also says in the 2002 edition of DANDR:

"Let me make it clear that the Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant." For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe. BHut it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen. The reason why I ask such people to try the fat fast is to let them know it is possible to lose weight."

Supplements are an important part of any eating plan, but having to take them because you are missing nutrients from not eating the right foods seems counter-productive.

You probably should also be taking calcium/magnesium and potassium as Fat Fast is a diuretic and you will lose potassium.

L-glutamine is only one of the amino acids that make up protein so it is not a complete protein.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 12:26

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeroger
yes but 1 centrum is not enough in my opinion, we are getting 0 vitamins from our foods, we need those supplement higher dosages.

Mike I have a question....

Where is the fire at? Why are you in such a rush to lose weight you are willing to sacrific your health?

The way you are eating you probably aren't getting enough vitamins through your foods. I would HIGHLY recommend you read the book.

Atkins' is about eating HEALTHY not losing weight fast and risking your health in the process.

*IF* and *WHEN* you hit your goal weight how are you going to maintain it? Do you plan on going back to the exact way you were eating before that made you gain weight? Atkin's is all about teaching us to eat properly as well as healthy.

If I were you....I would cease all dieting until I read the book and properly understood exactly what I was trying to do. The way you are going about this is NOTHING in the way Dr Atkin's has recommended nor supports.

On Atkin's we eat veggies, meats, some dairy and fruits. THAT is where we get most of our carbohydrates as well as vitamins and minerals.

Read the book. For your own health.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 12:49
Registered Member

BF:

we are not allowed to eat fruits on atkins, im on induction.

im doing fat fast like atkin said

90% fat 1000 calories

who said that i will go back to my old ways?

im gonna do this fat fast for 2 weeks or more until i lose a good 15 pounds of pure body fat.

Then i will raise my calories to 2500 keeping fat 60% Fat , 30% protein , 10% carbs.

i'll always keep low carbs

Where can i see the necessary amounts of dosage of vitamins/minerals we need to be healthy on a daily basis? RDA website?

btw.. i will always keep my carbs low when i done with induction and i wil make sure my fat is moderate and protein as well. Anything HIGH is not good in my opinion.

ill make it moderate protein, moderate fat, fairly low carbs under 30 grams for maintenance.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 12:54

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeroger

im gonna do this fat fast for 2 weeks or more until i lose a good 15 pounds of pure body fat.

Dude read the book. Atkin's says in his book not to do that fat fast more than a couple of days max then go back to regular low carb eating.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 13:58

Plan: CAD
Stats: 228/128/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Hi Mikeroger!

Nice to meet you--my name is Sheila. I have to smile big-
time at your enthusiasm!

It has been awhile since I felt so gung-ho about this plan,
but I have been on it awhile and boredom does tend to
come around. I get stuck in food ruts, eating about the
same thing all the time.

But hey. You can have all kinds of good things for you --
salads, green beans (with bacon/butter), tomatoes, etc.
I would definitely add them.

Feel free to stop by my journal anytime.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 15:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Mike!

Nowhere in Dr. Atkins book does he say to start out with the fat fast as your induction plan. The fat fast is to be used when you have tried induction exactly as written in the book and have lost neither pounds nor inches during the two weeks of the induction phase. He also says not to do the fat fast until you have ruled out all other possible causes of metabolic resistance such as a yeast overgrowth, thyroid problems or medications that may interfere with weight loss. The maximum amount of time that Dr. Atkins recommends staying on the fat fast is 5 days, and this for extremely metabolically resistant patients. Please refer to the chapter in the 2001 edition on metabolic resistance. What you are doing may lead to quick weight loss, but is not healthy for someone who is not metabolically resistant to weight loss and is doing nothing to teach you how to maintain your weight loss long term. Also, be prepared for some rebound weight gain when you go off it and up your carbs, even to induction levels, as your body will try to grab back some of the water that it shed during the fat fast. As far as supplements, if you are following a low carb plan correctly, you will get most of what you need from your food (meats, eggs, cheeses, veggies and some fruits). You may need a potassium supplement at first along with a calcium/magnesium supplement and possibly ONE multivitamin tablet daily (not two or three!). You can overdose yourself on vitamins, especially the fat soluble ones that you body stores in your fat when there is more than you need instead of excreting the excess in your urine like it does with the water soluble vitamins. You've been given good advice and I strongly urge you along with the others that you get the book and read it carefully before proceeding any farther. I know it's tempting to lose the weight as quickly as you can, but your body needs time to adjust to weight loss; losing quickly doesn't give it the time that it needs to adjust and you will likely pay for it with lowered energy and not feeling too great after a while. Weight that is lost quickly is also a lot less likely to stay off for the long term also. Slow down and give your body a chance to keep up with your enthusiasm while you learn how to eat healthy and keep the weight off once you reach your goal!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 22:28
Registered Member

BF:

hi,

i do have the book
the latest book of atkins, im in canada and i also have the protein power lifeplan book

i read them both.

i got the supplements needed, centrum strenght mutli vitamin , calcium/magnesium , potassium supplement , omega3-6-9 supplement, magnesium extra supplement, vitamin c and vitamin E and L-Glutamine.

im missing alpha lipoic acid, co enzym q10 , Conjugated linoic acid , selenium, chromium , clarinitine.

those 6 i dont know if i should get, they sy they are extermly good to get but so expansive, im not so sure..

also im doing a 1300~ calorie diet, composed of 85% fat, 15% protein , 2% carbs.

its fat fast but i modified it because i simply wanted to get enough protein so i wont lose lean muscle tissue.

my protein is arouind 58 grams per day, i think thats the minimum.

i get my protein from 2 eggs + 2 cans of sardines per day. Now i may increase protein intake slowly by adding a third or fourth can of sardine that all contain such high rich omega-3 fatty acids (1300 MG of OMega3) in each can that cost only 70 cents LOL.

but for now i wanna keep my calories under 1500.

problem with my body is that i have no more sensation for food, i cant judge if im full or not, or if im hungry or not.

so i can go and eat 6000 calories and want more, or i can go and eat 1200 calories and not be hungry all day.

i cut off all cheese cuz it gave me cravings, eating sardines, mayo, butter, eggs , olive oil and tonz of celery has been excellent and not giving me cravings at all.

gotta love butter thats cooked under the eggs, so good.

i wanna eat peanut butter , nuts and seeds, almonds, macadamia but i heard not recommended for induction phases.

This is my real GOAL :

Lose pure body fat by doing this diet, losing 15-20 pounds of pure body fat , then that'll reduce my body total Fat% to pretty low, then increase caloric intake to around 2500-3000 maintenance and eating moderate protein/fat , low carb and working out alot.

is that good?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 04:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Mike...

58 grams of protein per day is not enough. According to the calculations from Protein Power, the minimum amount of protein needed from my 130 lb. lean body mass is 78 grams. You will need more than that...probably closer to 100 grams. The calculation is 0.6 grams of protein for each pound of lean body mass and this is the minimim, not the maximum. I'd also suggest that 1,300 calories is not enough to keep a full grown man from going into starvation mode (keeping your metabolism from resetting to a lower level).
You have the basic supplements. The others are good, but I agree they're expensive and it's an individual choice as to whether you want to spend the money on them or not.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 08:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

Mike,

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. You say you are on induction, then say you are doing a fat fast. I don't think you can be doing both, since induction requires the consumption of healthy green vegetables. As for the supplements, they are exactly that. A supplement to your already healthy induction diet that includes vitamin and mineral dense foods. You will lose pure fat by following induction. You are playing with your metabolism by trying to follow the fat fast for such an extended time. Why don't you give the induction that Dr. Atkins so thoroughly explains a chance?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 09:04

Mike,

You have been given some fantastic advice so far, which I feel has gone completely ignored.

It seems you are bent on doing this your own way regardless of what the more experienced members are telling you. So I guess I wish you success on this adventure of yours and I hope you don't damage your metobolism or cause yourself any undue illness for misinterepting the information given in Dr Atkin's book.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 13:28

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/197/175 Female 5'7"
BF:?
Progress: 71%

Such good advice is available on this website that my head spins but we must have the grace to learn from others who are willing to strike out and learn by doing (and sometimes buy making mistakes).

I sure feel like doing something drastic from time to time. I consider the fat fast drastic... In the end we are responsible for ourselves.

I don't mean to offend, I just like the free flow of ideas. Let us know haw you make out MikeRog.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 14:19
Registered Member

BF:

on fat fast, you do get ur veggies, you do get your fats and you do get your protein

its same as induction except its less calories and more fat.

i hardly believe thats its dangerous as long as you get your supplements.

besides as long as you dont do much exercise fat fast is good. so you won't over work your body.

also induction 2 weeks doesnt burn pure fat , most of it is water.

you probably lose 1-2 pounds of pure fat during induction , rest of it is water weight. after induction you may start losing pure fat tissue.

i eat 4 celery stalks(2 cups of veggies) per day dipped into mayo / butter. i get my veggies in good amounts.

In the end according to atkin's book, its the ratio of fat to protein and fat to carbs that matters and the calories do matter.

if you eat 4000 calories , youl lose little to no weight
if you eat 1800 calories , youll lose lots of fat if you do high fat % of your diet being 80%+

as long as you get your proteins and fats and carbs , your healthy.