Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 08:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Help needed

Help !! I've been trying to do Atkins off and on for a year. I have lost 16 lbs. but keep getting in trouble. I've read the Atkins book, I keep a food journal, I exercise at least 4 times a week for the last couple of months. Many of my friends are doing Atkins so I'm constantly being told do try this or that. I'm 50 and going in peri menopause so weight comes off slow but I'm so frustrated. My Atkins book says one thing and know everyone is saying that you can eat low carb breads low carb desserts, etc. Will someone please tell me what to do to make things work for me. My husband is going to go through Induction with me to help so I want to do this right this time. I have 50 lbs to lose so any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi ArizonaB!

I know that all those low carb treats and such are tempting, but if you are already having trouble losing weight, adding in a lot (or in some cases, even a little) of those low carb replacement foods (also referred to around here has "Frankenfoods") is most likely going to make things worse instead of better. For your husband, my opinion is that he should avoid all those types of things for at least the induction period and then maybe cautiously experiment with them in the ongoing weight loss phase. Most of those things, like the desserts and candy, should only be an occasional treat not a daily part of your low carb menu regardless of what the manufacturers want you to believe.
Slow weight loss is certainly frustrating (It's taken me 3 years to lose 70 pounds) but for me it's certainly better than the alternative. I believe that if I hadn't started low carbing, I'd probably be pushing 300 lbs. today instead of 70 pounds lighter even if I'm not even close to my goal yet.
Have you had a look through our "Turtles" forum? It might be of some comfort to know that you are not alone in slow weight loss and you might be able to get some tips and ideas from others who are struggling with the same thing you are. Here's a link to that forum: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90

PS..I split your post from the original thread you posted in so it wouldn't get lost there.

Last edited by Lisa N : Wed, May-26-04 at 10:16.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Maybe your problem is your looking to everyone else to tell you what to do and not paying attention to what your body wants.

Follow the diet. Stick to it. If you're jumping on and off you're going to have slow weight loss and have a hard time staying on the plan.

Try different things in a methodical manner. If you don't lose weight, cut down on amounts, count calories or exercise more. If you find yourself eating too many low carb foods, cut down on them or eliminate them. I think people think eating low carb can always substitute for just eating less, but that doesn't work for all of us.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 12:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Why do you keep getting in trouble? Emotional eating, being unable to say no in a social situation, and mistaken carb counts are all different things with different reasons.

We'd be glad to help if you are more specific.

Me, I've been maintaining for almost six months, but I STILL can't eat things like low carb bagels. They make me ravenously hungry so I know they have an impact on my blood sugar.

However, I can eat low carb or regular wraps, even ones with a similar or higher carb count as the low carb bagels, and they don't seem to bother me a bit.

Hopefully, out of some of your frustration, you will have found what doesn't, and what does, work for you. Everyone is different, which makes it important that you trust, and find, your own way.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona B
Help !! I've been trying to do Atkins off and on for a year. I have lost 16 lbs. but keep getting in trouble. I've read the Atkins book, I keep a food journal, I exercise at least 4 times a week for the last couple of months. Many of my friends are doing Atkins so I'm constantly being told do try this or that. I'm 50 and going in peri menopause so weight comes off slow but I'm so frustrated. My Atkins book says one thing and know everyone is saying that you can eat low carb breads low carb desserts, etc. Will someone please tell me what to do to make things work for me. My husband is going to go through Induction with me to help so I want to do this right this time. I have 50 lbs to lose so any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

In my personal opinion, one *can* enjoy all the low carb replacement foods... *if* they make sure to watch their calories.

The reason things like KISS work so well is because food choices are so filling & restricted that it makes over eating unlikely to impossible.

However, if you are one of those who really enjoys a variety of food and doesn't mind having to watch calories, I would give calorie counting + greater variety a try. If you are stalled I would especially recommend it, since stalling is usually caused by too many calories. Replacing cheeses with something like a small fiberous/watery fruit can really cut the calories w/o spiking hunger.

If you are afraid to raise your carbs, what I would recommend then is using reduced & low fat versions of food to cook with. Instead of heavy cream, use half & half or whole milk. Instead of full fat cream cheese, use reduced or no fat. I find the reduced fat versions of products are very good, because they really cut the calories but there isn't a heavy price to pay in taste/texture like there is with the no fat ones.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 16:46
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona B

Ok...so you have the book....follow it strictly for the first few weeks. READ THE LABELS...don't believe ANY "net carb" promises. Make carbs be the carbs on hte nutrition label - fiber period..end of story. Sooooo...many people (including me) get stalled by sugar alcohols.

Use fitday.com to get a better assessment of your daily carbs. It's free....and if you use it, there are a lot of smart people here that will be able to help you out a LOT more.

Below is a thread I created for newbies...you're not new, but it sounds like you're starting anew.....hope it helps.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175492

GL...