Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 00:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/180/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Help**Newbie w/o gallbladder

Hello...first of all...I have had my gallbladder removed almost a year ago and have all kinds of bathroom problems. I am currently on Asacol..but since my body doesn't tolerate most of anything...I am not sure Atkins would work for me ...since I don't have a gallbladder.

Here is what I am currently eating...

Breakfast...Turkey slices...not much sodium.

Water like crazy by the way.

Lunch grilled chicken breast

Dinner.....Grilled steak

Any help would be great....and thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 05:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Riley,

Yes, it is possible!

Here is a link to some previous threads on gallbladder and Atkins. Doreen, one of our administrators, gives some great advice (as usual).

HTH!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 10:49
Canuck Conundrum

Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

Where on earth are your veggies dear?????!!!!!!!!

Sam
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: Modified LC
Stats: 221/160/146 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Wink A fellow no-gallbladder lowcarber

I've had my gallbladder out for one year this week. I too had a lot of trouble with all kinds of foods. Didn't seem to matter what it was... but I'm on my second month of Atkins and I've turned my whole system around.

First off, I have followed Atkins to the tee. The fat that I eat is mainly in butter and dressings/mayo. I had trouble with my digestion in the beginning, but that problem ended up being from too much magnesium (and the wrong type!) and not eating several small meals instead of three large meals.

There was a lot of help through the links on this web board, and now that I've found the right combination for me... it's wonderful!

I went to a reputable health foods store and spoke with the owner about my problem. She got me on the right suppliments and how to take them. It can be done... good luck!

Karla
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 12:15

Plan: mix of Atkins/Carb Addict
Stats: 188/185/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default gall bladder blues?

HI! I'm new here too. I had my gall bladder out 11 or 12 years ago. My system was whatcked out completely! If I ate anything with fats, the upside was no heartburn from rich foods, but better stay close to a bathroom! I seem to recall the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds"! hahaha!

But then I went on Atkins' and it was fine! I'm as regular as my system is "supposed" to be (I'm not a once-a-day kind of gal) and the only "trouble" I have is when I eat too much salad.

Talk to your doctor about the vitamin supplements if you continue to have a problem. But it really should work well for you! Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 12:31

Stats: 204/181/145
BF:
Progress: 39%

If you are still having problems please see your doctor about Colestid. What you have is a common disorder after gallbladder removal. Colestid will bind the bile and you won't have those problems any longer. It really changed my life around and works great.

#7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 13:50

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default No gallbladder

LBDropper - I've been on QUESTRAN for 6 months now - I insist on continuing Atkins even after gallbladder removal (high fat diet is impossible however even with questran)...I do a LowER fat version. I am interested in you experience with bile sequestrants (which is definately what the original poster needs). An excess of bile exists in some people's systems post removal. High fat only increases transit time of foods = chronic diahrea in most cases. Cholestid/Questran and other bile sequestrants do bind to bile and help, sometimes stop this problem. How much cholestid do you take?

Please respond. Could be helpful to others. Gallbladder removal is now a VERY popular as is Atkins...

I feel STONGLY that there should be a thread for people who have had gallbladder removal...life on Aktins is different for us.

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Thu, Dec-05-02 at 14:04.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 16:25

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago and have never had a problem. Sometimes I can go as high as 70% of my daily calories from fat and it hasn't bothered me a bit. There are a few foods that I need to avoid or pay a price for eating like popcorn, green peppers and raw cabbage but I don't really miss them anyway, especially with all the wonderful things I can eat.
Riley...is there some reason why you are not eating any veggies at all? Surely there must be some that your system can tolerate? You don't have to eat lettuce on induction if it bothers you; as long as your carb count stays under 20 grams a day you can have any combination of low carb veggies you want.
Give it a fair try; you may find that after a few weeks of low carb that you can handle more than you did when you were eating high carb. Just go slowly and let us know how you're doing.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 17:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

I had my gall bladder out 5 years ago, and like many people here, my daily life involved looking for the loo about 20 minutes after eating. The doc recommended the "bile binder" but to me that wasn't fixing the problem, only the symptom.

Very shortly after starting LC my problems went away, and I can eat all the foods that used to trigger those very violent urges. A year later I'm still doing fine, and have just had a full physical with excellent bloodwork results , including improved cholesterol levels.

The trick was to try things, and see which ones were no longer on the forbidden list.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 21:57

BF:

If lcing does the trick and stops your bathroom problems then go for it, but I didn't have that type of luck so if you find you don't try the Colestid.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 22:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/180/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thanks so much

Thank you sooo much for the suggestions. Ever since the gallbladder being gone...not only can I quote every bathroom in america...I also have had horrible non stopping weight gain..which is depressing. The only thing that worked for me was Phen fen...no I didn't have any medical problems from taking it. I am concerned that I have tried every diet and my system just wont kick in. I tried the Lindora system..and never broke into Keotsis..and gave up after two weeks. I cannot tolerate veggies.... My typical dream atkins menu would be:

Breakfast...eggs...maybe some bacon...I am not a big eater believe it or not.

Lunch a piece of grilled chick chick
Salad...

Dinner the same as above.

What is odd......is that I used to drink 6-8 regular sodas a day...and cut it for about 2 months...and LOST NOTHINg...hence why I think my system is screwed up you would think by elimating all that sugar it would of done something..I am thinking nothing would work for me.

THANKS for all the advice....I need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 22:35

BF:

I tried other diets also and have not lost till doing the low carb thing. I think our bodies get screwed up with being sick to our stomach all the time. Good luck