Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 16:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/121/105 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Splenda

I know some artificial sweeteners can help to cause cancer. Does the splenda have that cancer causing stuff in it? If so, is there anything I could use for a substitute that would be low-carb. I try to avoid those products because my family has a history of cancer.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 16:50

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I don't have an answer but have to 2nd your query on this.
We've heard all kind of bad things about Saccharin and Nutra Sweet only because they've been out long enough but I do wonder about Splenda.
I also wonder if Splenda feeds my candida infection. ????? I haven't seen anything on this other than *opinions* in forums and I do think my fungus will pay attention to them
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 16:56

Stats: 140/132/120
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolegwen
I know some artificial sweeteners can help to cause cancer. Does the splenda have that cancer causing stuff in it? If so, is there anything I could use for a substitute that would be low-carb. I try to avoid those products because my family has a history of cancer.

No one knows since Splenda has not been on the markets very long. I know that Sweet N Low was taken off the "cancer scare" list. Their was a 20 year study to disprove it's causing cancer. For me...Splenda gives me the world's worst migraines. But I seem to be one of very few that gets a reaction from Splenda. HTH!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 17:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Splenda so far, is considered safe. Saccrine, or Sweet & Low, still carries a warning on the box about cancer. Asperteme is much worse though, if you do a search there's a thread about the chemicals it breaks down into when heated.

If you are worried about splenda, try using stevia. It has been used in Japan for centuries and is herb based.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 19:40

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

LadyBelle, the warning label requirement (for saccharine) was repealed not too long ago...but, most of the manufacturer's haven't taken them off yet. Of all the Artificial Sweeteners, saccharin is the ONLY one I have full faith in. It has been around since just after the War of Northern Agression (err Civil War)...and there has never been a single provable case of cancer in a HUMAN as a result of using it.

Aspartame has been around for 30 years or so...But, it has caused serious problems in humans. I will not use Aspartame at all. Sucralose and Acesulfame-K have only been out for less than 10 years. In that time (unlike Aspartame which caused problems right away) we haven't seen any problems in humans as a result of their consumption. Only time will tell what the long term risks are, if any. In the mean time...I use products made with Sucralose and Acesulfame-K, but use Stevia for sweetening stuff I cook, bake, etc...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 20:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I also wonder if Splenda feeds my candida infection. ?????

Pourable Splenda contains maltodextrin that is derived from corn, so it's quite possible that the maltodextrin is feeding the candida.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 20:17

Stats: 245/185/170
BF:
Progress:

I, like Kasper, get a reaction from Splenda. When I use sucralose or any product that contains it, I get rashes and acne like symptons. It usually takes about 2 weeks or so for the symptoms to go away. I've actually verified it for myself that it is the Splenda that causes it. I've gone months without Splenda then I reintroduce it in my diet only for my body to react within days. I refuse to use both saccharin and aspartame so I'm left without any sweets in my diet. I found this web page about Splenda related dangers, but it is kind of old. It says sucralose contains chlorine, arsenic, as well as lead, but I don't know how reliable the source is. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm

--Jesse
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 20:23

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

http://www.nocarbzone.com/html/sucralose.html

Here is another I just found. This one says the chlorine used to make sucralose is safe.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 21:12

Stats: 363/294/270 Male 6 feet, 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default A little knowledge can be dangerous…

Chemistry is not as straightforward as the names of the chemicals themselves. How many women would stop using super-glue for their nails if they knew that it is has cyanide in it? (cyanoacrylate anyone?)

The saccharine scare was based upon lab tests using an absolutely absurd amount of consumption. I don’t remember the actual numbers, but if the lab rats ate the equivalent amount of sugar per pound of body weight (which would be impossible for them, unless you could get a rat to eat several pounds of sugar per day) they probably would have developed cancers from the overdose of sugar!

Splenda is actually a “left-handed” sugar molecule. Regular sucrose is a normal "right-handed" molecule. Your body simply lacks the ability to recognize & (fully) digest a left-handed sugar molecule; therefore it just passes through your system. (I’m resisting the temptation to include a few Olestra jokes )

I remember reading about the discovery of these left-handed sugar molecules many years ago in one of the science journals. If I recall correctly, it was discovered as a naturally occurring, yet rare, substance. The process to synthesize regular sugar into the left-handed version requires chemical manipulation, for which the other chemicals listed are utilized.

Last edited by SixFootSix : Thu, Jul-03-03 at 21:15.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 00:29
Registered Member

Stats: 189/179/130 Female 167cm
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Yes Splenda is good

As per New Dr Atkins book Pg 128, he says his preference is sucralose
(Splenda), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar, It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA recently approved it after viewing more than one hundred studies conducted over the past twenty years.

hope this helps you out

Debbie
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 08:20

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseD
It says sucralose contains chlorine, arsenic, as well as lead, but I don't know how reliable the source is.

So does your tap water...I bought some bottled spring water, and on the back...it read "Dissolved Solids: 21 P.P.M." and below that "As, Cu, Fe, Pb".

As = Arsenic
Cu = Copper
Fe = Iron
Pb = Lead
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 12:13
Registered Member

Stats: 135/121/105 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Where can I find Stevia?

I think I will try using the Stevia. Is this available at most health food stores (GNC,etc.)?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 13:18

Stats: 245/231/125
BF:
Progress: 12%

I use a Splenda Vanilla syrup all the time in my coffee and I have had no adverse affects at all.

Lori
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 13:20

Stats: 157/141/130 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 59%

Stevia is pretty good but you have to use sparingly as it is very strong.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 13:36

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Holy Moly Six Foot Six
Thank you for that explanation - that is more than I could find in an entire day of research on the web
I'd love to know more about it as I have a candida infeciton in my gut and I am trying very hard not to feed it (Please Don't Feed My Gut Animals!)