Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 16:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/235/160
BF:
Progress: 12%
Unhappy what's wrong with me?

I've been on Atkins for one month and I've lost 15 pounds. All in the first two weeks. I have a lot of weight to lose so I'm still eating 20 carbs a day, but not losing anymore! My keto strips are dark pink, but the scale has not moved in two weeks. Here's what I normaly eat in a day:

1)1 Atkin shake made with water and cream
2)scrambled eggs made with butter
3)I eat just protien for lunch(chicken or tuna fish w/mayo and pickle, or steak) and Piece of cheese
4) Atkin bar for snack
5) salad with oil and vinegar dressing, a protien main dish, and 1 allowed veggie.
6) homemade beef jeaky for snack

I also have 2 cups of decaffeinated coffee with half and half.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 16:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins? Protien Power?
Stats: 220/193/150 Female 5'6"
BF:Unknown
Progress: 39%

I am new as well, but unfortunately I am losing weight. Don;t hit me. lol

For me, I stalled for 2 days and tried to figure out what was going on. I decided there was 2 things: one is a comment from a nice person pointed out to me that our bodies are trying to figure out what was wrong with the change of food. Our bodies have to catch up with the rapid weight loss and new foods. Sometimes this can take awhile..

The other thing, at least for my short stall, was that I hadn't exercised those days. There are no alternatives. You have to PUSH yourself to do this and when exercising PUSH yourself to the best of your abilities. No slacking around and strolling down the street if you know you could be walking quickly. Always make the workout a personal best.

Are these things you are doing already?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 16:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I would personally cut the shake, the bar and possibly cut down on the cheese.

The shakes and bars (particularly the bars) are known stallers. Also, you might want to switch to heavy cream and half and half is part milk, which is a no no.

I'm far from an expert, but this would be the course I would take. Once I was losing again, if I wanted to add them back in, I would do so one at a time and use them for a week or two in between adding the next one so I could figure out which one may have been the culprit.

Hope this helps!

L
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 17:01

Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I really think your body just needs to adjust. The same thing happened to me, lost 11 pounds in the first 15 days. I also stay just on induction foods and have never had a shake or bar. I did drop cheese when after 3 1/2 weeks later I still hadn't lost anymore weight. Then I lost 4 lbs during week 6. Hang in there, I bet it will happen. I have alot of weight to lose too and am very impatient.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 17:02

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

First congratulations are in order on your initial weight loss. Second after losing such a large amount, and 15lbs in 2 weeks is large, it's normal for the body to take a break & readjust before losing more. You also may be losing inches instead of pounds. In addition to using your scale to gauge weight loss use a measuring tape too. Measure hips, waist, thighs, etc.. You may be quite surprised to see your measurements decreasing while the scales says nothing's changing. Be sure you're getting at least 64oz of pure water daily too, otherwise you may be retaining water weight. When did you add the shakes & bars? Some people are stalled by the bars, as they contain sugar acohols. I'm not stalled by shakes or bars, but they could be your problem- only you can tell. If they're a recent addition & you started stalling right after adding them, then try eliminating them for a while. You also might want to consider replacing you 1/2 & 1/2 with heavy cream, less carbs & more fat- which is good. Sometimes we foget how important high fat ratio is with this WOE. Most importantly be patient & stick with it. You will lose again. Remember you didn't gain all the weight overnight, nor will you lose it all overnight. Weight loss for me goes in spurts several pounds a week then a break for a week or two. Try not to get discouraged. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 17:09

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hey woollbug...both whyspers and notminime have excellent insights, IMHO.

I would only add that 15 pounds in one month is AWESOME.

It's completely normal to stall out after 3 to six weeks of being on Atkins. There's nothing much anyone can do except to stick to the Atkins eating plan to the letter, exercise, drink lots of water, exercise, keep the faith, and drink lots of water. Yeah, I repeated myself. So sue me.

Really, don't worry about a stall. It's normal and temporary, even if it lasts for a few days or even weeks. Things will start moving again. Just read through this site and you'll find that just about everyone has been exactly where you are now. I hope this gives you some encouragement.

One other thing...did you take your measurements when you started your new way of eating? It's often the case that we lose inches even though the scale keeps coming up with the same number week after week.

Keep us posted, and keep up the great work. Really, you're doing fabulously!

Best regards,

Isa

#7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 17:13

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Wow...while I was typing away AmyTN and fishie48 posted great advice foryou.

Isn't this a great site? Lots of people here are ready and willing to help out wherever they can.

It's really helped me, that's for sure.

Take care...drink water...exercise...keep your sense of humor...be patient...etc.

Isa
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 19:48

Stats: 245/235/160
BF:
Progress: 12%
Smile You guys are so helpful and nice

I think I'll try and cut out the bar and use cream in my coffee. I'm probably not getting enough water. Thanks for all the helpful information. This is the best web site with the greatest members.

#9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 22:18

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yes those darn bars, even thou sold by Atkins seem to stall more people
Yes, Water yourself Plenty
Speaking of which I have to go drink a whole lot, kind of got behind today
Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 04:20
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

It's been said, but bears repeating:

Lots of times on Atkins you lose either wieght, or inches, but not both at the same time. So definitely measure yourself. (IMHO - inches are a better indicator, and more important!)

Stalls are normal too, so don't give up.

You probably shouldn't be having sweet snacks this early on, so exchange the bars and half n' half for pepperoni, beef jerky or some other legal snack.

Are you exercising?

Drink a lot...

I think that's it

You're doing great!