Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 19:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 205/205/185 Male 71
BF:~22%
Progress:
Default Sex!!! Drop in calories

Now that I have everyone's attention, what do you think. I find that I eat 3 to 4 meals with about 300-400 calories per meal and little to no carbs. Honestly, I think that part of this lifestyle's success is because you actually decrease the calories in synch with the carbs. Once the cravings are gone in a couple of days, then this is VERY easy to do. Is this common?

Scott
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 01:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Honestly, I think that part of this lifestyle's success is because you actually decrease the calories in synch with the carbs.
For some people yes, for others no. It depends upon metabolism, dieting history and a few other factors. Starving seems to be something your body never forgets and it likes to remind you!

I personally think it's better to have your calories and carbs all over the place, just to keep your body guessing. You don't want it to get too complacent by operating on a small amount of calories because if you have to tweak, the only way to go is up. Then your body might store the extra as fat because it was operating on too few calories.

Sure, you could live on boneless, skinless chicken breasts and canned tuna, but that sounds more like a diet than a lifestyle change.

Lowering calories - less fat and more carbohydrates - is more common right before the maintenance stage than it is in the beginning.

Following Protein Power by the book, works! It's a wonderful way to eat, lose fat and regain health.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 18:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

How much is "little to no carbs"? Fewer than 20 net grams a day isn't going to speed things up and I think can do more harm than good. I know I feel a whole lot better when I eat all my veggies. And I lose better, too.