Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 22:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223.5/192.5/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Can you trick your body by accident???

I just wanted to know, my dad told me that by eating low carb sweets (homemade w/out sugar alcohols) like jello, or low carb cheescake made w/ Stevia (no carb sweetner) can trigger an insulin effect inside your body because it tricks it into thinking it's having sugar? Or that the pleasure of eating it triggers the insulin??? I don't get it. If that were true, anytime you eat something you enjoy like steak would trigger insulin.

If I am keeping my carbs under 20, even if I eat these things, as long as I count them, shouldn't my body be losing weight? (yes I am eating salad and protein/fat everything healthy that I should be eating too.)

Thanks for the help!

Katie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 00:08
Registered Member

Stats: 145/138/120
BF:
Progress: 28%

Katie - I have read (I think in Carbohydrate Addicts Diet) that artificial sweeteners can make the body "think" it has had sugar. Don't know if it's true but many people on this forum have said that artificial sweeteners can cause a stall. That may be a problem for me cuz I've become a bit of a sugar free jello addict and I'm pretty slow to lose.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 09:18

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default I've seen some effect

Not so much on the stall side as on the "wanting more" side. I'm watching the ebb and flow of cravings and they seem to be worser (sic!) when I have sweet tastes in my mouth.

Not sure why and don't really care. It's not just a "pleasure" effect because I DON'T get it from steak or any meat/fat. It's the diet drinks for me, and I'm staying away from the sugar alcohols altogether.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 09:24

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Splenda makes me just insane for real sugar!! I have to stay away from it altogether. I was really looking forward to trying all the desserts and things...guess I have to wait til I am close to goal.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 01:45
~strange as angels~

Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

From what I understand, this is part of why aspartame can cause a stall in some people.

I know that for me (back in my early hypoglycemic days & pre-lowcarbing days), drinking a lot of diet sodas (such as diet Coke) would cause my blood sugar levels to suddenly crash. Apparently the combination of aspartame & caffeine would make my body "think" my blood sugar was high & it would kick out a bunch of insulin.

No fun.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 16:39

BF:

Thank you for the posts everyone, just wanting to repost to see if anyone else has some insite on this?

Katie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 18:07
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 227/???/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I've been on the diet for a week now. I suppose that may not be long enough to judge this... But I have kool-aid with artificial sweetner in it a lot... and I've continued to lose weight.

If you're concerned about it, try without any artificial sweetener for a week or two and see if that helps anything. (I know it's hard, but sooo worth the effort.)
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 19:52

Stats: 212/199.5/155 Female 175 cm
BF:
Progress: 22%

Katie - I have definitely found that my body can be tricked. I did well in the first 3 weeks (9.5) pounds, but even then, when I drank diet coke, or had any artificial sweetner, I would get that mid-afternoon tired feeling and also go up a bit. My doctor said your body can react to sweet tastes as much as to actual sugar...
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:20

BF:

I actually have tested this theory, and I do believe it is better for you to not be eating the sweets very often.
I've cut out ALL sweets and have been losing 3 lbs a week now!!!

Katie