Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 10:25

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Is Swimming Just as Good as Any Other Cardio????

I used to be on the swim team back in high school..back when I also weighed 125-130...(sigh) and I stayed super lean and healthy by doing so..however when I quit the swim team I eventually started to gain all my weight back..(I started out at 180 in 9th grade, and lost 55lbs by way of fasting and exercising compulsively by the beginning of 10th grade) I quit the team in 11th, and by well, my 2nd year of college, was right back up to 180 and then some.. now Im in my 4th year and just totally sick of looking at myself in the mirror, I tried the LCing, but lately Ive totally given up..today I took a good look at myself and decided I was going to go to the gym..(Thanks to the forum email that the site emails every so often..) it gave me some motivation to read the AM cardio thread... Anyways..my choice of exercise is swimming, but now that Im fat and not so full of energy as I was 5-6 years ago..I prefer to use a kickboard, because with a kickboard I can go forever, but with all out full body swimming I can only do 2-3 laps and Im totally out of breath.. (as in freestyle stroke)

So... aside from this annoyingly long post... will swimming get me anywhere if I just start out with a kickboard...?? And does anyone have any advice to keep me motivated to stay on the LC?
The reason I gave up on it..and part of the reason of my weight gain for the last 2 years is from my boyfriend, whos 6'3", 195, and eats whatever he wants.. ugh.. Im just hitting bottom, I Think..Thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 11:42
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

This summer I found swimming very helpful as I have arthritis in both knees. I developed a series of stretching and flexing exercises that really helped tone me up and make me more flexible. I found laps helped develop my breathing and lung capacity. I couldn't do more than 1 lap at a time when I started but would do a lap, some stretching exercises, and another lap. By the time the pool closed I was up to 4 laps twice during my routine! Since the pool closed I've been walking and doing boy flex exercises (modified for my weak knees). Whatever you do, do it consistently and build on it. Swimming laps will work for more of your body than just using a kickboard.