Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 17:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/180 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:
Default One week down--starting to feel OK

My first post here, and I'm just finishing my first week of induction (have been reading a lot).
I weighed myself at the gym yesterday (no scale at home) and I've lost about 5-6 pounds so far.
Had a very hard time the first few days, very head-achy, tired, groggy, even nauseous some of the time. Part of the problem was that I was on a schedule of back-to-back interviews for five hours a day at work, with no lunch break scheduled. So that, combined with my own lack of knowledge about how much food how often I need at this stage, caused me to go too long without eating several times. I just wouldn't feel all that hungry, so I would let it go a couple of hours, and by that time I felt like I might pass out.

Then on about my fourth or fifth day I seemed to really stabilize. I felt pretty good most of the time, and really have ever since.

My wife is reporting that my breath smells "like alcohol" ever since the second day. She also says that I've just about stopped snoring (which was a major problem--being tired of sleeping on the couch was one of my main motivations for losing weight) since the second day.

I'm trying to really stick to induction in every way, except that I'm drinking coffee. But other than that I'm being really careful, and it seems to be working.

I rewarded myself on my fifth night with a big sashimi feast (one of my favorites). I didn't have any of the rolls, so no rice, just lots and lots of fish. From looking at the carb counter, it seems that soy sauce and wasabi (in the small quantities I use) don't present any carb problem. I also ordered beef negimaki (without the teriyaki sauce--just beef and scallion) which was delicious. An expensive feast...and I really should have ordered more!

I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong area--it's a little rambling and maybe should be a journal? But I feel very grateful for all the excellent info I've gotten just by reading in here...so now I'm "active," too!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 19:19
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The fish feast was a good reward! Just don't forget the veggies! ( I just have to nag...I'm a Mom.)

Starting a journal is always a good idea, but thanks for sharing with us here too. It's good for everyone to hear that even if you feel a bit lousy at first, it gets better if you stay with it!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 19:56

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Joseftu...I also drink coffee (around 3 cups of mixed decaf and full strength) but I always drink a glass of water before each cup! I am thinking it will dilute it and with all the other water I drink I haven't noticed a problem.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 20:49
Registered Member

Stats: 234/176/140 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 62%

way to go on the great start..keep up the awsome work..tomorrow will be a week for me on my re-induction phase..hahaha...and i weighed in this am and am down 5lbs too....I know how you feel, i was really run down the first few days but now the energys back, my huby would agree with your wife on the breath topic..keep up the good work